This year for Christmas Santa brought Michael his first and very own bicycle. Although his brother has been very good about sharing his bicycle before Michael got his, it is amazing how much more they both like to bike now that they can each have their own.
One of the neighbor boys who lives across the street and who is probably 7 is always riding his bike and lately Gabriel has been asking when he will get to have the training wheels off of his bike, like the neighbor boy. Jarrett and I being the cautious, actually clueless (would be the more accurate term) parents we are, weren’t quite sure when or how old a child had to be training wheel-less. So, when Gabriel would ask we’d just delay the inevitable and say, maybe when you are six or maybe in a few months. We knew the time was coming and this weekend Jarrett realized Gabriel was ready.
Dad was outside with the boys on Saturday watching them while they were riding bike, when all a sudden the back door came flying open and Gabriel bolted into the house shouting MOM!!!!! I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve become numb to the seemingly urgency of the situation, usually they just want a drink of water, have to go potty or want me to get them something. So when Gabriel came running in shouting, I decided to wait until he came to me. As he wandered through the house, he found me working on the laundry and shouted, “MOM, GUESS WHAT?????…. DAD is taking OFF MY TRAINING WHEELS!!!”
“Really?”, I responded with a similar level of excitement not only because I wanted him to remain as excited as he was, but also because in my mind, it really is a big milestone for him.
I proceeded to follow him to the backyard where Jarrett and I looked at each other and knew we were going to have to relocate to the front driveway and street. Gabriel was so excited as Dad unscrewed the bolt from the training wheel and watched with every step as his growing level of independence increased. As Dad removed the second training wheel from the back of his bike, Gabriel was jumping up and down, saying “I’m so excited!” over and over. I then realized that this was definitely a video camera moment so I told everyone to wait until I ran into the house and grabbed the video camera.
As I came running back out of the house and into the driveway, Michael was already situated on his bike and getting ready to watch Gabriel get on his bike and begin to pedal for the first time as a “big kid” Dad got Gabriel situated in the flat and smooth part of the street, held the back of Gabriel’s seat while he climbed on and proceeded to tell Gabriel to go ahead and try pedaling. With his first push down on the pedal he took off with Dad racing behind trying to keep him balanced and keep up. With the bike height only reaching the top of Jarrett’s knee, I have to say it was a pretty funny scene watching Dad all discombobulated in different directions, trying to hold the bike, give instructions, watch for traffic and keep up as Gabriel continued to pedal down the street. After going about 50 feet Gabriel stopped, realized what he had just done and celebrated with high fives and hugs. I was thankful I was holding the camera as I have to admit, I was even a little teary-eyed. He's growing up so quickly, it is wonderful but sometimes I want to slow time down so I can savor and take in every moment for a few days.
As we continued to celebrate, all of a sudden we realized that Michael had been biking down the sidewalk and wasn't stopping. Within a matter of feet he'd be turning the corner of the sidewalk and would be out of our sight. I yelled for Michael but being that he was all the way down the street he couldn't hear us and continued going as fast as he could. I turned to Jarrett, yelled for him to go get Michael. Jarrett told Gabriel to wait and took off running down the street yelling for Michael. I thought the situation was a tad funny so I continued recording the entire scene.
Just as I was zooming in on Jarrett running down the street something in the corner of my eye caught my attention and I looked to see that Gabriel had become impatient in waiting for dad to return and decided he wanted to try his 2-wheel bike all by himself. I instantly turned the camera and there Gabriel was pedaling all by himself without any help, looking like he had been doing it for the last 2 years. I started cheering and screaming for Jarrett to turn around. Gabriel continued to pedal and before I could fully understand just how far he was going by himself, he was all the way down the street catching up with Jarrett who had finally caught Michael.
I can't decide if Gabriel is just a natural at riding bike or was probably ready to have his training wheels removed several months ago. Nonetheless we are extremely proud of him and so happy to have shared yet another first with him.
Until next time,
Angie
PS: Unfortunately because I was taking a video I don't have any pictures yet. I can't figure out the video thing yet but once I do, I'll be happy to share.
What a great story! Can't wait to see photos/video...
ReplyDeleteFor videos, I upload them to You Tube (you can create your own channel) and they will give you the code so you can embed it where ever you want. Let me know if you need any help. :)