Monday, March 7, 2011

The story in his hands...

For the last 10 days my grandpa Ray has been out to visit us from Iowa.  He was brave enough to join our crazy house and stay with us.  It has been a wonderful visit.  The boys love to greet him in the morning and race into the house every night after school to say hi.  Then at bedtime they race to give him a hug and even more fun in between those times.

This past weekend the boys were watching Mary Poppins when Grandpa decided to sit down with them.  First Gabriel was sitting next to Grandpa and then he moved so Michael moved into his spot.  Within a few moments, I saw Michael reach over and gently slide his hand into Grandpa's.  He began to rub his fingers over the wrinkles in his forehand and over the calloused bumps on his fingers.  He looked up at Grandpa and asked him why his hand had wrinkles and bumps.  Grandpa graciously answered his questions, and in that moment I realized the full circle of life and how blessed I am to share my wonderful Grandfather with my boys and visa versa. 

The stories I'm sure my grandfather's hands could tell would wonder my 3-year old Michael for hours.  As I watched them interact, I wondered if my grandfather had done the same thing to his great-grandparents more than 80 years ago.  It was a moment when I realized how quickly time passes and how my grandfather probably wishes he could go back in time and relive the wonderful days when his children were young and his wife, my grandmother, was back by his side.

Everyone always says, "Cherish every moment because they go by so quickly." and in that second I realized just how true that statement is.

I pray that I always cherish these moment and learn to celebrate the wrinkles in my hands.  For wrinkles are the souvenirs of life and I have sure been given a great one.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment