Monday, June 23, 2014

Swim team...

This summer we’ve been spending a lot of time in the pool.  So much so that every Monday when I come to work several of my co-workers say, “Wow, you were outside a lot this weekend.”  Even with sunscreen, there is no escaping the sunny rays shinning down.  To keep the boys occupied (as our outdoor activities with our 100 plus days are limited),this year we signed them up for swim team.  Some of our friends have had their kids do it in the past, and I’d heard good things about it.  So far it has been great! I’m so thankful for swim team!

Other than the fact, it makes for a late night for the boys, it is wonderful at wearing them out, I mean entertaining them.  Don’t get me wrong, there are many other benefits as well.  Take for example how much of a stronger swimmer it has made them.  How they've actually learned how to do the butterfly stroke and are actually quite good at it.  Here they are from last week’s meet, each getting first place in the butterfly. 
Additionally it has taught them what it’s like to compete in something other than baseball.  I think baseball is wonderful because it is truly a team sport, but swimming on the other hand is definitely an individual sport.  While racing against others is good, in the end  with swimming the goal is always to improve one’s time. 

Two weeks ago, we were novices at the sport of swim team.  I showed up at 6:30 a.m. with the boys for the first meet completely under prepared.  While I walked in with one, yes ONE water bottle in my hand, I looked around to see other parents with the following:
·         Coolers, yes plural
·         Snack bags
·         Towel bags
·         Sunscreen, more sunscreen and yet even more sunscreen
·         Umbrellas, Pop Up shades and camping chairs
·         Big floppy hats (almost like they were going to the Kentucky Derby- think big hats)

And then there was me.  Shooing my kids in because of course we were running late and I walking in with my single water bottle.  Yep, it was obvious to everyone but us, we were clueless.  To make matters even more enjoyable, I had volunteered to help at the event.  Thinking back to my high school track days, I signed up to keep time in lane 4.  I thought, I can handle this, I know how to run a stop watch.  This shouldn't be too hard.  WHAT WAS I THINKING???  What was I thinking!!!!!!!

Before I could even figure out what to do, the first beep had gone off, signaling the start of the race and I was standing there with my water bottle still in my hand and my timer dangling below.  Thank goodness I just happened to volunteer next to the head swimming coach from a high school near our house (with a very reputable swim program no doubt).  He said, “Don’t worry, I got the start for you.”  I felt like a fool, but graciously said thank you and realized I needed to watch and follow his each and every move.  I dare not make another mistake.  After three more times missing the start of the race, and making the mistake of not holding my hand down to catch the backstroke swimmers head (to avoid them hitting it on the wall), it was clear, I had annoyed every other expert swim parent and judge around me. 

 Meanwhile Jarrett had arrived with Isabelle in toe and while he tried to keep her entertained and away so she wouldn't notice me, it was only about 5 minutes before she spotted me and came racing up to my side determined not to be peeled away.  As Jarrett did just that, a shriek extending throughout the entire pool was heard as yes our daughter was forced to leave my side.  The coach next to me said, “I see a relief timer taking your place in the near future.”  I think it was a hint.

About 5 minutes later a relief timer showed up, my hubby, and took over so I could go be with Isabelle.

Looking around the pool, I found a lounger wide open and immediately headed that way to stake my claim. Not having anything other than my daughter and my now empty water bottle to move, I was able to get it before anyone else.  Actually, if I'm really being honest, I don't think anyone wanted it.  It was sitting in the non-shaded part of the pool deck.  While every other spectator crowded into the shaded spots, Isabelle and I sat in the sun.  Thank goodness Dad had gotten my text and brought sun screen.  

Gabriel telling me to back up so he could get ready to race.  Oh maybe he was saying hi... I'll pick that option. 
After Dad took over my position as a lane timer, I was able to watch the boys.  It was actually fun to watch them.  I could tell they were as clueless as I was about the whole situation, but soon enough they figured out what was going on and followed around a friend who was a member of the team last year.  First they competed in back stroke, followed by the breast stroke, then the butterfly and finally the freestyle. One nice thing about swim team is that everyone gets a ribbon, for each and every stroke.  Gabriel being the competitive type, was determined to get first place.  And if he couldn't get first, he'd settle for second, but didn't want to get any other ribbons other than his blue and red.  Meanwhile, Michael, being my classic Michael, wasn't too interested in getting a particular place.  He was just happy to finish and when he found out there were ribbons, he was more interested in getting colors of ribbons that matched well.  Seriously.

Now that we've got two meets down and 4 more to go, we are doing a little bit better blending in.  The boys know the routine and were able to improve their times significantly.  And Jarrett and I are getting better too.  Just last weekend we showed up early enough to claim a spot on the pool deck IN THE SHADE, and I dug out all the bags from baseball season and hauled them along to the pool.   This time I was prepared...
  • Sunscreen CHECK  
  • Snacks CHECK
  • Drinks in a cooler CHECK
  • Activities for Isabelle CHECK
  • Towels CHECK
  • Breakfast CHECK
 One other interesting thing I've observed is that baseball parents and swimming parents have some things in common.  Just like there are those baseball parents who are convinced their 5 year old is a future major league player, there are swim parents who are convinced their 7 year old is the next Michael Phelps.  And as much fun as it is to watch the boys try their best to get first place or next the pretty colored ribbon, I also think it's pretty darn entertaining to watch "those" parents screaming at their kids and giving them advice like they just competed in the Olympic trials.

Until next time, 
Angie

PS:  One other comment about swim meets.  In between races the boys decided they wanted to inspect and pick at Isabelle's feet.  Turns out she had dirt on her toes from her sandal shoes and they were determined to pick it out.


They were so concerned about her toes that they almost missed their next race. What was even more funny for me was that Isabelle sat still for several minutes to let them pick at her!!!!!  For anyone who knows her, she NEVER sits still.  Now I know what I should do to keep her occupied.


No comments:

Post a Comment