Wednesday, June 13, 2018

We tried to make you proud.

Today was a busy day as we tried to spread kindness and celebrate Noah's life.

We started the morning by taking a visit to his final resting place... it's so peaceful with a water fountain, beautiful flowers, chirping birds and shady benches. It is less than 3 miles from our house at our church.  It's not big, kind of tiny, and that's just one of the many reasons why we think its perfect for him.
I love the fountain and the pretty flowers.

The train we left for Noah's first birthday and the kindness stones near his memorial.

After spending a few minutes there, we were off to volunteer at Feed My Starving Children.  The kids kept asking me who was joining us, if anyone else was going to meet us there... I said no.  Today it's just us.  At first I think they were disappointed, but soon were okay that it was just a family day.  Sadly Madelyn was too little to help, so she had to spend a good chunk of the day at school.  We stopped there to drop her off and got to see "Aunt" Stacey... the kid's preschool teacher who we love and consider family.  She gave us all hugs and told me how often she thinks of Noah too. 

We arrived at Feed My Starving Children and just like last time, continue to be impressed and moved by the experience.  Today we got to bag food for children in Guatemala, as they try to regroup and find food after the volcano that killed so many.  We learned that of the rice bags we packed that contain soy, nutrients and vegetables that for just $80.00 it can nourish a starving child back to health and the food will last the entire year.  $80 a year to feed a child.   It made me feel guilty for how much I spend a week on groceries.  We are so fortunate here.
Don't we look great in hairnets?

Gabriel is thrilled about it messing up his hair.  Jarrett's excited because he thinks it makes him look like he has hair.

This is a replica of a house for a family of 5.  Michael was intrigued how a family of 5 could live there.

A highlight from our experience was that several players from the ASU football team were there volunterring their time and we got to help bag food with them.  They were extremely kind, funny, hard working and made the experience even more enjoyable.  Gabriel continued to stare at their muscles and just how buff they are, I think he was dreaming of how he'd like to look someday.  Afterwards we asked to take a picture with them, they were all so polite and happy to do so. 
Our work station.




After our packing of food was done we returned to the lobby where they shared with us the statistics of how much food we had prepared to send off.  It was very impressive with us bagging more than 59,000 meals which means we were able to feed 162 children for a year. 


This is impressive but the statistics they shared are that every single day in this world 6,200 children (aged 6 or less) die from starvation.  6,200 children!!!!  How can that be?

At the end we got to try the food.  Definitely not something to write home about, Isabelle didn't seem to mind it. 

Then the host shared with us a story of a little girl.  She shared that their missionaries on the ground for a little girl a few years ago and at the time they first found her she was 19 months and weighed only 9 pounds.  She was within days of dying... blank stares, protruding stomach with skeleton ribs, couldn't cry and anymore and would barely respond.  When they found her, they weren't sure if she would survive but they gave her grandmother the food to provide nutrients for her and instructions to help improve her health.  They shared that they had returned a year later to find that she was alive and thriving, thanks to the food.  Then the host said, "And actually we want to share with you some other exciting news."  She continued, "She is here today because of the food people like you helped pack to send, and today she is celebrating her 3rd birthday."  My tears had already been flowing down my face, from the moment they shared about how close to death she was.  When she mentioned she was celebrating her 3rd birthday and thriving I couldn't control my emotions.
This is the girl, sorry the picture is hard to see

  It hit me... If we had not lost Noah, we most likely would have never gotten involved with FMSC.  While he did, she lived.  I am so grateful we got connected to FMSC because it makes me realize that his life is still helping to give to others.  While it makes me sad we don't have him, I am glad that this baby girls family still has her.  And if we can do something to make sure other families don't have to lose their children, than I want to do what we can to help.



So moving.  So proud we could spend a few hours having fun as a family while helping other babies across this world.
We also stopped by the post office to mail off a few care packages for other special babies we know from the NICU.


This afternoon the kids wanted to make Noah a birthday cake.  They love mint chocolate chip so we made a mint chocolate chip cake with mint ice cream, fudge and of course sprinkles on top.  We did it together and then we sang happy birthday to Noah. 
Madelyn was excited it was chocolate!

Isabelle was in charge of sprinkles

Gabriel just scarfed down the cake.

Guess both of the girls did too.  There was a LOT of chocolate in that cake!

Madelyn liked it too!

   Oh how I wish he was here.  I smile seeing our kids we get to have here, love on him, talk about him and he still brings us all together.  Even tonight walking to the car, both boys came up and put their arms around me... as preteens this doesn't happen often.  Both said, "Mom, we love you."  Moments I think that remind us we have things to be thankful for.

As a final node to Noah's legacy tonight the boys and I went to the NICU with treats for the staff.  Ice cream and fruit bars to share with the hard working team.  Walking into the hospital, I am starting to feel like I get PTSD with each visit.  I hoped as time passes it would get easier, but so many things have happened at that place, it gives me mixed emotions each time.  Until, I walk through the doors of that NICU and then all I feel is love.  Smiling faces from nurses I've never met but who say, "It's so nice to meet you, we LOVE Noah and Noah's kindness Project!"  And then the familiar faces, the ones who gave us love three years ago this moment.  I'll forever be grateful our lives came together. Another gift Noah's life brought. 

Driving the boys to swim practice tonight the sky was setting and it was a mixed of many colors.  While I looked for a rainbow all day, I guess I had seen my sign many hours early when I first woke up and got out of the shower... I picked up my towel off the mat to dry off and underneath it was Madelyn's rainbow socks.  Not sure how they got there as those socks had been put in the laundry basket a few days earlier.  But there they were and I said then, Noah Happy Brithday! 

As I crawled out of the car and walked into the house after a long day, I said out loud, "Noah I hope we made you proud. Happy birthday buddy.  I love you." 

Happy Birthday buddy, Mom loves you forever.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment