Monday, May 20, 2019

Michael turns 12!

Being that tomorrow is Madelyn's birthday and I'm only almost 2 months behind, I best get this posted.  Back on March 23 we celebrated Michael turning 12!  Even though here it is almost May 23rd, I still wanted to take some time to reflect on his birthday and to recognize our younger son and what his year has brought for him.

This year was the start of middle school for Michael and it would be fair to say it was a demanding year that challenged him in ways that pushed his limits and forced him to mature.  Not only was the change in academics (more so the need for organization) a challenge and something he is still learning, but also peer pressures and making choices that are best for him.




Michael has been watching for the puberty train to come and pick him up for a few years now, since Gabriel towers over him and got on the early train, and while he still thinks he has a long way to go to catch up, I am starting to see his growth spurt isn't too far off.  As I look at pictures of him this spring compared to even the start of last fall, it is obvious he is growing and has grown.  His appetite definitely is evidence that he's socking away calories for his growth.

Gabriel and Michael now together in the same school again have become close, sharing stories of what is "cool", talking about the latest gossip happening at school, and at the same time arguing about who is stronger, faster, cooler.  While I understand girls as they becomes teenagers have a lot of drama, the boys have a lot of testosterone which means when they get mad at each other, they scream and shout, rough it out and move on... usually playing ball together about 5 minutes later.  Michael and Gabriel are no different.


For Michael's actual birthday we eneded up having a low key weekend, after a crazy week prior of several baseball games.  My parents were in town and we spent the day playing games and then went out for dinner.  It was a really nice, low-key day.




While Michael and I are so similar in that we both like to be right, sometimes that puts us at the opposite end of arguments, I know someday he will use that stubbornness and it will help him to preserve over the challenges we can all be promised in this life. 


Of the many qualities I admire in Michael, perhaps one of those at the top are the moments of true compassion and kindness he shows.  Sometimes he is the biggest helper and most thoughtful kid of all that we get to raise.  For example, in these pictures below.  On this particular weekend Gabriel had a full day of baseball in Scottsdale and I wasn't feeling that great.  Dad was at work and after hauling a ton of crap to the field from the parking lot, I knew I was going to have to just sit in a chair for a while.  Isabelle and Madelyn were not having the idea of just sitting and wanted me to get up and go play.  Seeing that I wasn't feeling well and the girls wanted to play, Michael without any ask, decided to take the girls and play with them.  He got them interested in finding a bug and took them on an adventure until they discovered a new "friend".  I, at that moment, and still am, so thankful that he shared so much kindness with me and I didn't have to ask, beg or negotiate a deal.  

Turns out the girls (and I even think him if you'd ask him) had a great time.  They ended up finding a grasshopper and spent hours with their new pet, building him a home, getting him food, and playing with him.  




I sat there and gave thanks the entire time that he was there to help me and reminded myself how lucky I am to get to raise him, even when he challenges me. :-)

As we get ready to start the summer, I am sure he will grow and change even more.  Looking back on some of these pictures, like the one below from his first day of the fall school year, I see the innocence still in his eyes.  

While that innocence is changing to becoming more aware of the world and what it means, I always pray that he chooses right over wrong, kindness over peer pressure, and staying true to himself by sticking to goals.


Here on the first day of school.... wow did we not know what we were in for!



No matter how big he grows, may he always keep his funny sense of humor...

recognize and utilize his amazing talent to create things out of nothing....


And never ever forget how much we love him and are so thankful we were chosen to be his forever family.  




 Never stop chasing your dreams Michael... always strive to be better.  We will always be your biggest cheerleaders.


We love you and wish you the best in life.  Happy 12th birthday!

Until next time,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment