Thursday, July 8, 2010

Is it too soon to be girl crazy?

Today I decided to take the boys to get a haircut. Now they've already had two haircuts since they've been with us. The first one thankfully was given by my mom and they looked so nice. Then, before we went back to Iowa I decided to try my hand at giving them a cut. That is where I made the mistake. Granted, no one back in Iowa said anything about how uneven or choppy their hair looked, I think everyone was trying to be kind. But, every night, when I give them a bath and comb their hair it makes me crazy because I can tell just how bad of a job I did. So today, I decided to fix that.
After meeting Uncle Jonas last week, the boys have become obsessed. They want to do anything and everything to be like Uncle Jonas. They wear fire boots around the house almost 13 of the 14 hours of the day they are awake, they pretend to drive big cranes, fight fires and flex their muscles to try and be just like him. I should have come to expect it, but today, when I was driving them to get their haircut I said, "Now boys, how do you want to have your hair cut?" To which the immediate shout was, "Just like Uncle Jonas!" With such a firm answer I couldn't help but try and fulfill their wish. I did my best to describe to the stylist what to do, but basically I told them to cut it short and even (the keyword) and then in the front to gel and spike it.
Remembering how well the boys sat for their previous 2 haircuts, I was a little nervous this experience could go south at any moment. To my surprise Michael and Gabriel climbed right up in the chair and with their superman and batman capes they each sat very still. It was so cute to watch. As each stylist cut their hairs shorter, the smiles on their faces grew bigger. It was obvious that it wasn't just their mom that thought they looked pretty cool. In fact as we were walking out the store Gabriel said to me, "Mom, do you think Ava would like my haircut?"
Here's a little background on that... when we were in Iowa and went to the farm the boys were able to meet my cousin Eric's little girls. He has three adorable little girls. The oldest, Ava is Gabriel's age and his youngest, twins Kelly and Jordan are Michael's age. From the moment the boys met the girls I think they developed a crush. The entire time we were back in Iowa they asked about the girls. They wondered if they were playing outside or if they were taking a nap. They asked to have them come over and play and they asked if they could have them to our house in Arizona to go swimming with them. Gabriel would talk about how him and Ava are alike because they are the same age, they have the same color hair and they have a matching tooth. In his mind he is convinced that they were just simply made for each other.
So when Gabriel asked me if I thought Ava would like his haircut, I couldn't help but smile and laugh on the inside, that my little 4-year-old was already thinking about what girls would think of how he looked. I of course answered right away, "Oh yes Gabriel I think she would really like it, I think she'd say you look very handsome." At which he said, "Mom, do you think she'd want to give me a kiss on the cheek? Laughing now out loud I said, "Maybe honey but mom sure thinks you look kissably cute" and then I kissed him.
As we got into the car, the boys then decided to start listing off all of the girls they've met that might like their new look. The conversation (if you could call it that) went something like this,
Michael: "Mom do you think Kat would think I look pretty?
With no time for me to answer Gabriel said "Mom, would Chloe like my haircut?"
Michael: "Mom, would Jordan and Kelly kiss my cheek?"
Gabriel: "Oh Mom, I know, Kathy would like my haircut wouldn't she?"
And the list of pretty girls kept going on and on and on.
I've been told to watch out when the boys become girl crazy. I had no idea I'd have to prepare myself for when they were 3 and 4. I thought I could at least wait until they were 13 and 14.
As long as it is all innocent fun, I'm okay with it. So without further ado, here's the newest look of my little boys, Gabriel and Michael (sporting their new Uncle Jonas haircut). You might notice the more photos I took, the more they tried to work the camera.
So here you go girls, these shots are for you!





































And Last but not least, here's one flexing their muscles. Thanks Uncle Jonas for showing them this one!













Until next time,
Angie

1 comment: