Friday, July 30, 2010

The things we take for granted...

I've been meaning to post about this topic for several weeks now and everytime I think to do it, the boys do some other adorably cute or interesting behavior that I blog about that instead.

Before I forget though, I just have to share about one of the things I take for granted that Gabriel and Michael don't: Groceries.

A few days after we brought the boys home, our refrigerator was running low on supplies and our pantry was missing a few key items so I decided to take my first trip to the grocery story with Michael. Daddy stayed home with Gabriel as we thought it might be easier to have just one little guy at the store instead of two. As Michael and I walked (well Michael rode) up and down the isles, Michael's eyes were wide-open staring at all of the food and supplies. As I filled our cart he continued to watch in a quiet awe as passed each item. And when we checked out,they bagged all of our supplies and his excitement grew. He said, "Mommy, I can't wait to show Gabriel all our stuff!" Not thinking much about his comment we loaded everything up in the car and headed for home.

Michael graciously helped me carry in some of the bags including the ones with the toilet paper (who knew we'd go through so much TP), paper towels (yet another important supply) and the cereal (one of their favorite foods). When Daddy and Gabriel saw us loaded down with supplies they joined the troops in carrying in all the groceries. All in the kitchen, Michael shouted, "Gabriel, look what Mommy and Daddy got us?" as he gently pulled out item after item from the bag and proudly held it up to show his brother. At which Gabriel responded, "Mom, thank you so much for getting us cereal." "Mommy, thank you very much for getting us paper towels" "Mommy, I love you for getting us toilet paper, that was so nice of you." And on and on. By the time they reached the second to last bag, it hit me.

Gabriel and Michael probably haven't always had these basic supplies. Seeing their faces light up like they had just opened up the biggest present to find a brand new shiny bike, when in reality, they were simply holding a bottle of Tide, made my heart ache. I am confident that when I was their age I never thought to say to my mom, "Thanks for buying me toilet paper and laundry detergent so you can wash my clothes mom." I'm sure when I was their age I was "that" child in the grocery store asking my mom for everything in sight and then throwing a tantrum when she said no for the 50th time.

To think that a 3- and a 4-year old would be so thankful for having such basic supplies, makes me count my blessings that we get to be their mom and dad. That night after putting the boys to bed, Jarrett and I talked in depth about how impressed, amazing and stunned we were that the boys would be so expressively thankful for just our basic groceries. We wondered if their reaction was just a fluke since everything was new or if it really was a showing of their appreciation.

The next week and every week since then, the boy's reaction has been the same. "Wow, mom you bought me milk, that is so nice!" "Daddy, thank you so much for the grapes and bananas." "Michael, we are so lucky to get to stay with Mommy and Daddy cause look at all the stuff they bought us to eat." "Mommy, thank you for the onions." and on and on and on.

I use to dread the grocery store because it seemed no matter what day or time I went, it was always crowded and filled with people in a hurry. Now I look forward to going to the grocery store, not because our grocery bill have doubled, but because of the reaction I know I'll receive when I get home.

You are very welcome Gabriel and Michael for those basic supplies. Thank you for being so appreciative and reminding me not to take the most simple of things for granted.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment