Disneyland: We've been talking a lot lately about Disneyland, Disneyworld and Mickey Mouse. I think I've mentioned before that the only reason why the boys think Jarrett and I work is so that we can "buy money to go to Disneyland". Yesterday, after picking the boys up from school, we were headed home when all of a sudden Gabriel said, "Mom, does Mickey Mouse have a potty at Disneyland?" "Yes Gabriel he does, why do you ask?" "Well Mom, Me and Michael have to go potty a lot and what would would happen if we go to Disneyland and have to go potty? I'm so happy Mickey has a toilet for me and Michael."
Patience: Jarrett and I have been trying to teach the boys about being patient. I think this is one of the harder lessons to teach and it seems our boys are so excited about everything that patience is , in Gabriel's words "A really hard" lesson to learn. Today we had a series of appointments and errands to run and while we were in the car running from here to there, Gabriel, Michael and I were having one of our normal conversations... "Mommy?" "Yes Michael?" "Mommy, I love you!" "I love you too Michael." "Mommy?" "Yes Gabriel?" "Mommy, can I have my sucker now?" "No Gabriel, you can have your sucker after we stop at the store and after your doctor's appointment, if you are good." "Mom, I have to be patient?" "Yes honey you do." Then, out of the blue Gabriel said, "Mommy?" "Yes Gabriel?" "Mommy, after we stop at the school and go to the doctor, I'm going to give you a big hug for being so patient and waiting for me while Michael and I were at Sally's house. Thank you mommy for waiting for me and Michael to come live with you and Daddy." "Gabriel?" "Yes Mommy?" "Gabriel, I love you!"
Superheros and Leaders: The other day Gabriel's teacher stopped me as I was dropping him off. With Gabriel standing at my side, Mrs. Stacey went onto stay that Gabriel is one of the leaders in her classroom and that she wants our help in encouraging him to be a stronger leader and to not give into peer pressure when his friends (or him) decide to make bad choices. She encouraged us to read leadership style books and push him to become an even stronger leader. I thought about what she said for a few days as I was trying to figure out exactly how do I talk to a 4 year old about being a strong leader. Then I decided to try the old Superhero trick. Gabriel loves superheros and I thought if we had the conversation that Superheros are leaders maybe he would understand the concept of how leaders and superheros make positive choices and that is what we want him to do. I said Gabriel do you know that Superheros are leaders? He responded with the normal answer, "Why Mom?" I then went on to share that superheros, like Superman are leaders because other people want to be like him and that he makes good choices to help people. Those are qualities we want you to have as a leader. "Mom, how come I can't see superheros?" Well honey, did you know that police officers, ambulance drivers, and firefighters are superhero?" "Really Mom, is that because they make positive choices to help people" "Oh really Mom, the next time we see a police officer can you stop mom so I can ask them if they are a superhero and a leader?" Sure Gabriel I will. Ten minutes later Gabriel decided we had to call my brother, Uncle Jonas, who is a volunteer firefighter, to see if he is a superhero. Thankfully Jonas went along with my idea and agreed that he is a leader, being a superhero was more a stretch but at least he was convincing enough to satisfy Gabriel's curiosity.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment