Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A compliment I never thought I'd hear...

 This summer we asked Gabriel what sport he would like to play and he picked soccer.  So we signed him up to join one of the local 4-year old teams.  At the first meeting, the coach asked for volunteers to become the assistant coaches and Jarrett couldn't resist the opportunity.  I think secretly he's been waiting years to play some sport with his little boy.  So, tonight Daddy, Gabriel and Michael headed off to soccer while I was still at work.  Being that the head coach wasn't able to make it tonight, Daddy became the coach.  I guess Dad had his hands full in trying to coach Gabriel and his seven other teammates and try and watch Michael, who's too young to play.  So, one of the mom's on the team volunteered to take Michael and her little one to a nearby playground to play.

When I arrived at the park Daddy said I could find Michael with Alexander's mom at the playground. As I walked over to the playground there were many moms and little kids around and as I started scanning the slides and swings, a mom started waving at me to get my attention.  She said, "You are Michael's mom right?"  "Yes" I answered somewhat surprised as never having met her before.  She said, "He's right here.  I could tell he was your son, he looks just like you." 

With the meaning of each word hitting my ears I wanted to capture them forever and hold them in my heart.  I looked at her, smiled and simply said thank you.  Although she probably did not even think twice about what she said, Alexander's mom gave me one of the most meaningful and heart-warming compliments I have ever received. 

When Jarrett and I realized the fact that we are not able to have our own biological children, I also accepted the fact that I would probably never have someone tell me, that our child has my eyes, or my smile.  I realized though, after many years of wanting to be a mom, that to me, it was more important just to be able to be a mom, than whether my children looked like me or not.  When we were selected to be Gabriel and Michael's mom and dad and got to take our first pictures with the boys, a few of our family and friends commented how the boys kind of look like us.  Although I agree, I've secretly wondered if those who said that really believed it or if they were being extra kind as they knew we are adopting. 

Tonight when Alexander's mom complimented Michael and I in looking alike, I realized that she has no idea we're adopting Gabriel and Michael.  To her, these boys came from Jarrett and I and for her to recognize the similarities between us, bring me great happiness.  Although I'd love the boys the same, if they look like us or not, it does bring me some sense of peace and joy that our being together is not just defined by adoption, but by the many similarities that make us a family. 

Until next time,
Angie

2 comments:

  1. Know exactly how you feel. I agree, they do look like you. Fun to hear it from a stranger though isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome!!! It is a great un expected moment I have felt also!

    ReplyDelete