Thursday, November 4, 2010

His Golden Birthday!

The first picture we took of Gabriel
Gabriel now... I just can't get over those eyes!
Tomorrow will be a big milestone for Gabriel.  He entered this world 5 years ago on November fifth and tomorrow, we get to celebrate his golden birthday with him.  Although it sounds strange to say this, being that we have only known each other for six months, but in a way, I think about tomorrow and the thought, "where did the time go" crosses my mind.

Just six months ago Jarrett and I nervously walked up to the home of Gabriel and Michael's foster family, rang the door bell and were immediately greeted with two adorably handsome and beautiful faces.  Immediately Gabriel took my hand and led me inside, all while looking up at my face and smiling from ear to ear.  I remember my heart melting as I felt, what seemed to me, tiny fingers, leading me from room to room, and when, just 5 minutes after meeting him, he said, "This is my new mom", I knew that he was forever in my heart, forever a part of me, and that my world had just changed.  For one my new purposes in life is to make the lives of these precious little boys better and I vowed, I will always try to do my best to do just that. 

Although we've only been together for six months, I honestly feel like they have been a part of our lives forever.  Jarrett and I talk about how we hardly remember life before them.  Maybe that is God's way of helping one to forget all the painful years of wanting a family and sending prayers that seemed to go unanswered.  I guess, as I look back now on that time, I can't say I'm thankful to have endured it, but I am thankful for leading me to where we are today.  I feel so amazingly blessed and appreciative for their smiling faces, for the way they view the world and how they make me feel love.  Then, I wake up each morning and the love I felt yesterday in no way compares to the love I feel for them today. 

I asked Gabriel today what he thinks of being four for the last time and he said, "Mom, it makes me kind of sad but I'm so excited to be five!"  And I guess that is the way I should look at his milestone tomorrow.  Although the six months have gone by so quickly, we have had a completely wonderful six months full of new experiences, countless firsts for all of us, and more happiness than I have ever felt.  Although I haven't been with the boys their entire lives, I think they feel the same way.  And, if the first six months have been like this, I can hardly wait to see what the future holds! I'm so thankful to say we are a family. 

So Gabriel, on the eve of your fifth birthday, I want you to know that I love you to the moon and back a million times over.  You are a kind spirit that makes the world a better place just by having you here.  I look forward to watching you grow, and I want you to know that we believe in you and will always be your biggest supporters.  You are smart, considerate and completely loving.  I hope you have a wonderful birthday and I can't wait to wake you up tomorrow morning to celebrate with you on your very special day.

I love you always and forever.  Your mom,
Angie

1 comment:

  1. Angie, I just love your blog. Reading your words always reminds me to treasure the small things and be thankful for all that I have in my life. You are such a wonderful momma and the boys are so lucky to have you!!

    PS- It was great seeing you yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete