Wednesday, August 1, 2012
The end of summer...
Back in May I could have never guessed the summer was going to go so fast. In some ways I still feel like we should be looking forward to Memorial Day weekend, not the fast approaching labor day. Instead, the beginning of August is only days away and we are preparing to go back to school. Along with this we are also preparing, actually dreading, having to say good bye to MaeLyn and Aaron’s time in Arizona.
My sister MaeLyn and her, other half, Aaron came out this summer to spend time bonding with our children. In real terms they were our babysitters. We joked all summer about how they were our Nannies and they should start a business called Nanny and Manny Incorporated. I think it has a nice ring to it and we even tried to do some networking for them as we talked to some friends who actually needed a nanny. But Iowa has been their home and they feel called to return to their lives back there, so we prepare to send them back to friends and family who are excited for their return.
There’s that saying it takes a village to raise a child and this summer has taught me just how true it is. While this summer brought my return to full time work, I can’t help but be extremely thankful for having my sister and Aaron here. The stress, emotional toll and overwhelming feeling of balancing full time work, family obligations, home responsibilities and everything else on our plate was made so much easier because of their help. Having them available to assist in anything and everything from changing diapers to helping the boys with school work, to running errands and even cleaning the house. The gifts they gave us, I don’t ever think I’ll be able to repay.
The greatest gift though did not come though from all the chores they did or the errands they ran, the greatest gift they gave us this summer was their time. The bond they built with our boys and little girl will be something Gabriel, Michael and Isabelle (even at 5 months old) will remember for their entire lives. Heck, I’ll remember it and be forever thankful. And although MaeLyn and Aaron had to provide discipline and consequences when bad choices were made, they established a level of respect that the boys have for them and that too is a gift.
This summer has also given Jarrett and I a chance to reconnect with MaeLyn and get to know Aaron better. MaeLyn and I are 10 years apart and we had only met Aaron a couple of times before having him come out. Being so much older than MaeLyn, I’ve always in some ways felt like a second mom to her and this summer I’ve seen her mature and grow in ways that I’ve realized, she doesn’t need a second mom, just being best friends and close sisters is perfect enough. And Aaron, we’ve grown to know and love him after watching him go through a situation more difficult that most people ever have to face in their life, we’ve develop a true sense of honor and respect for his determination and spirit to keep going. Even though he’s witty and able to dish out crap, he’s truly one of the most caring, sincere and thoughtful guys, I’ve ever met. Together they make a great couple.
This summer after almost practically living together, we’ve learned things about one another that will forever unite us. After observing them spend days and weeks perusing through homes for sale on their laptops, research top ranked food places in the valley, introducing me to Pintrest and watching hours and hours of reality TV together, there is no going back. In fact, after Aaron felt comfortable enough to bash my singing skills, we decided he’d love it if I sing Peter Catera’s The Glory of Love at their wedding. Watch out Aaron, don’t doubt me, I’ve been known to make a fool out of myself a time or two before. It just may happen if you dare me. In case you care to get a preview, here’s Peter …http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHOF_0-6Hg
Living in Phoenix for the past 7 years and living away from my family for that time has without fault of anyone, resulted in relationships with my family not being as close as they could be. We are not there for the weekend gatherings, the during the week dinners or the casual drop in visits. All of our interactions are over the phone with multiple time changes in between. That is the reality and we realized that unfortunately could happen when we decided to move to Phoenix to begin our careers.
Now that we have children and I realize just how difficult it is to be away from my family, I think back to my childhood and am thankful my parents lived close to my grandparents and extended family. I guess in some ways, being completely honest with myself, those are the days when I wish we could live in both places. But you take what you can get and this summer, I got a taste of what life with my immediate family close by was like. Iit tasted good. And now I wish it was a permanent piece of my life, of our life I too would like to give my children the same gifts I was given (to be close to both grandparents and both sides of the family). But if having those 10 weeks together is all the treat I get, I’m still glad we had it for it was a great summer and I’m forever thankful for them putting their life on hold to help us.
The summer of 2012 will be remembered for many reasons. It was the summer we went to Iowa, to Lake Tahoe and to San Diego all within 5 weeks. It was also the first summer with our baby girl and it was a summer full of many fun and lots of great memories, all thanks to MaeLyn and Aaron.
We love you guys and will miss you terribly.
Remember our house is always open for you and we can’t wait til you come back.
Until next time,
Angie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment