Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Leader in Me School... Awards Assembly!

One of the reasons why we chose the school where the boys attend is because they were the recently awarded a grant from the Stephen Covey foundation.  His foundation created a program called the "Leader In ME" and the boys' school was one of only a few schools in the entire state to receive this honor.  The program focuses on increasing teacher effectiveness, student engagement, and academic achievement, all while preparing students to be leaders in the 21st century.  (Don't tell, I may have copied that verbatim from the foundation's website).

The do this by focusing on the seven habits from Stephen Covey's famous book.  The 7 habits are reworded to be more kid-friendly and the philosophy is communicated in a way that is understandable to every child from the pre-school program through 5th grade.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and was very excited about this program being implemented in the school.  I think leadership skills are so critical for our future and so why not start now educating them now on what it means to adopt these behaviors.

At the beginning of the year, I wondered how the kids would accept some of the habits.  I mean come on, have you ever heard of a six-year old say the word, "Synergyze"?  I hadn't.  To say I've been more than impressed would be an understatement.  The kids, my kids and others that I know who attend the school, love it.  They have soaked up the message of the 7 habits, they use the terms in their everyday speech and they are demonstrating  leadership behaviors in many aspects of their life.  In a way it has been a mental paradigm shift, a positive one at that.

In a way to recognize the kids for their achievements, each month the school holds an awards ceremony recognizing certain children for one of their greatest skills.  A couple of months ago, Gabriel was recognized for his "zest" in learning.  His teacher complimented him on his excitement to learn new things (especially anything sports related) and for his zest in creating a supportive learning environment for his classmates and friends.


And just this week Michael was recognized for his sense of humor.  Michael's teacher expressed how although it is his first year at the school, no one would know it because he's connected to his friends like he's known them for ages.  His humor and friendliness are his strengths and he keeps everyone in the classroom laughing.



As a part of the awards ceremony the children do not know that they will be recognized.  Parents are invited and Jarrett and I made it a point to be there.  Unfortunately Dad had to travel of out town this week for work, but he was thinking of Michael.  When we showed up both times, the boys were surprised to see us and quickly assumed they might be getting an honor.

I'm very thankful for this year's school year.  It has been such a wonderful experience; not only for the boys but for our entire family.  The culture of the school is very positive and it is palpable among the teachers and the students.  We have been blessed with two wonderful teachers for the boys and the community at the school has been welcoming.

It is hard to believe the school year is already wrapping up.  It seems like they just started.  While I'm thankful for all the kids have learned, I'm perhaps most thankful for the opportunity to have them be a part of a Leader in Me community that encourages leaders, supports them to have the confidence to make the right choice even when it can be hard, and the expectation that they can always work to make themselves better.

Gabriel and Michael we are so proud of you.  Way to go!

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment