You can imagine then, when the boys got off the bus on Monday afternoon, I expected to hear an excuse after another excuse as to why they couldn't stop talking to their friends when they were suppose to be quiet, why concentrating at music class was so hard and why they just had to shout out the answers instead of waiting for the teacher to call on them. As the bus approached I saw all the kids (not just my own) crowded toward the front rows of the bus, waiting to jump out the minute Mr. Matt stopped. I braced myself.
As the door opened, all I heard was shouting.....
With one child talking over another one, I couldn't even figure out what they were saying/asking. And then one of the boys shouted out over the others. "Ms. Angie, tell Gabriel and Michael the Easter Bunny isn't real!"
GASP. GASP again. Yikes, my brain was racing.
Thankfully Michael and Gabriel were having NONE of it and said, "Mom, tell Harlen he's wrong." I looked at Harlen and said, "Harlen, the boys want me to tell you the Easter Bunny did come to our house." Still not ready to give up his strong pursuit to "let the truth be heard", he turned his head, and shouted back at me, "No, Ms. Angie tell him the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa are NOT real. They are just the parents giving the gifts."
As I stood on the corner of the street, I thought to myself, this is NOT how I expected to have this conversation and before another word could be said, I immediately shut the conversation down and called for us to go inside, "Boys, come on we have to get a lot of things done before your game tonight."
Thankfully that was enough to end it all. But I wasn't ready to fully end the conversation. I wanted to know more about what the boys really thought.
Thankfully that was enough to end it all. But I wasn't ready to fully end the conversation. I wanted to know more about what the boys really thought.
After getting a good start with homework, I causally brought up the question, "Boys, what was Harlen saying to you on the bus about Easter?" Right away Gabriel interjected, "MOM," obviously disgusted, he continued, "He says the Easter Bunny isn't real and that it is just our parents who give us all the gifts." At this point Michael who was in the other room came in to be right next to me. "Mom," he asked, "Are you the Easter Bunny?" For one time in my life, I actually was able to come up with what I consider a pretty decent response. "Michael, what do you think?", I asked very straight faced. Immediately he burst into full on laughter and said, "HAHAHAHHAA NO! You would NEVER buy us that much candy!" To which Gabriel joined in, "And you're definitely NOT Santa because you'd never give us that many gifts!"
And with that answer our conversation was over. I simply said, "I guess your right boys. Your mom would NEVER buy you that much stuff would she." "Wink Wink"
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment