Saturday, November 8, 2014

Michael-isms

Of the many great qualities Michael has, perhaps one he's known best for his is quick wit and humor.  There are some days he seems to be on a roll and today was one of them.

Today at Michael's soccer game we just so learned that his team played against Larry Fitzgerald's (the outstanding Arizona Cardinals football player) son.  After the game, Michael, Isabelle and I were driving home, when we were discussing how his team did.  Michael said, "Mom- Did you know Larry Fitzgerald's son was on the other team?"  "No," I responded, "Michael, how do you know it was his son?"  "Well," Michael said, "I know because someone on our team said it so I decided to ask him.   I said, "Hey are you Larry Fitzgerald's son?" and guess what Mom? He said he was!"  Isn't that cool?" Michael, still very excited, continued on about the fact that he got to play soccer with a semi-celebrity.  Michael exclaimed, "And guess what Mom?  Larry is SOOOOO RICH, that his son can play a soccer game, a baseball game AND a basketball game, ALL IN ONE DAY! Now that's rich!"  I couldn't help but laugh, still trying to figure out the correlation between having three different activities in one day and being rich.  I asked, "Michael, what does playing three sports have to do with being rich? Some days, we have three activities in one day."  Michael quipped right back, "Yeah mom, and I know you can barely do it.  Its because we are not rich."  I just laughed and agreed.  He's right,; I can barely do it, actually most times I struggle.  Thankfully now I know the reason why its so hard for me.  I just don't have enough money. 

And then tonight...
 Tonight I was treated and got to go out for dinner. It was so nice, even Dad commented how long it had been since we had a meal in a restaurant and not at home.  It was glorious. I didn't have to cook.  Okay back to my main point now.  As we were leaving the restaurant, we drove past the store Bye Bye Baby and Jarrett commented how he hadn't been in that store for a long time.  He said the last time he was in the store was when Isabelle was a baby and wearing tiny diapers.  At Jarrett's comment, my gut reaction was to start fake whimpering.  Pretending to cry I said, "Oh that makes me so sad, the baby stage of our life is over and I only got to have one baby, since you boys were all ready big when we got you.  You know Mom loves babies!" I said.  Before I could continue in my silly pitty party, Michael jumped in, "Mom, if it'd make you feel better, I can act like a baby and whine all the time."    You know, if funny,  my pretend crying stopped right away.  "Thanks Michael for offering, but its funny, all of a sudden, I'm okay with the baby stage being past us now. Thanks anyway!"

While Michael continues to make us laugh, I sometimes look at him and think, "Wow, he's really growing up fast."  So fast, in fact, today Michael had his first play date with a girl.  Michael was invited to go spend the morning with his friend Bella, yes, the same, cute, little girl he went to dance class with a few weeks ago. I had set up the play date with Bella's mom earlier in the week and told Michael he'd have to be on his best behavior all week if he wanted to go.  It became clear, very early in the week, just how badly Michael wanted to play with Bella.  Michael's compliance with our requests was record breaking.  Lets just say, evidence of parental bribery at its finest.  Finally the date  day Michael had been waiting for arrived.  He couldn't wait to get to get to her house.  They spent the morning playing in her tree house and on her trampoline.  When I picked him up he went on and on  and on about how much fun they had.  He said, "Mom, Bella is so nice. I like playing with her and you would have been proud, I used my manners a lot!"  When I asked him what else they all played he said, "Mom, after we played her in tree house and on the trampoline, we played in her room and played house.  I was the dad, she was the mom and her little brother was our baby."  We played house for a long time and then I read her journal.  I said, "Oh really Michael, did she want you to read her journal?"  He said, "No not really, I think she was embarrassed because she had written in there "Bella likes Alexander."  As Michael shared what Bella had in her journal, it was clear, he was wishing his name was Alexander or that Alexander had been crossed out with a big black marker and written over top was the name Michael.  While he enjoys Bella's friendship, it is clear he has a crush.  As we almost got home and pulled into the drive way he said, "Mom, can I call Bella? I just want to say hi, I miss seeing her already."  Um no Michael, you can tell her hi on Monday at school.  

See what I mean?  My little boy is growing up way too fast.  While it is so cute he has a girl friend, I mean a friend that is a girl, I'm not quite ready for the daily phone calls just to say hi and I miss you.  

Oh Michael, he's always got me on my toes.  Just one of the many reasons we love him so.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment