Monday, November 24, 2014

The magic of the season continues...

Two weeks ago already, we attended a holiday party at the Phoenix Zoo Lights.  It has become an annual tradition now.  Our amazing Realtor, Debi, yes the one who sold us our home more than 7 years ago, invited us to her annual party.  She rents out the zoo during their zoo lights special events, has a lovely dinner catered and then invites the big guy from the North Pole to make an appearance.  It is an awesome party and we feel so lucky to be invited and get to attend.

As we were waiting for the gates to open, I begged the kids to let me take a picture of them.  This is try number 27.  I gave up.  Jimmy Cricket, would it be too much to ask to have everyone look at the camera AND smile?  Yes, yes it would.  Hence my decision to just accept picture number 27 and post it here.

After getting inside the zoo, it was funny how each kid's true personality came out.  Michael reached for the map to try and figure out exactly where we should go.  Isabelle took off in a mad dash to run as fast as she could and as far as we could away from us.  Meanwhile Gabriel just whined about how hungry he was and how he wasn't going to make it if we had to walk any further (literally we had just gotten inside the zoo) if we didn't find food fast.
Thankfully Michael is an excellent map reader and within minutes we found the big white tent where dinner was being served.  Whew, we weren't going to lose Gabriel.
Because our daughter only knows one speed and that being "running fast" we ended up being the first from the party to reach the tent.  This meant we were also the first to get to visit with Santa.  Last year Isabelle wasn't quite sure about the jolly ol' man.  What a difference a year makes.  This year, without even a word of prompting from Jarrett, the boys or me, she ran right up to him and sat on his lap.
Right away the boys engaged with Santa talking with him about what they would like and asking him how he got to the zoo.

While the boys are some what curious about how Santa can really cover all those miles and stop in every little girl and boy's home across the world, the sand in the believing hourglass has not run out.  I'm oh so thankful for that.
What I truly appreciated is that when Santa asked the boys if they had been good, they of course replied yes.  Then Santa, being fully aware of how they really have behaved said, "Do you remember what I asked you to work on last year?"  The boys were caught off guard... "Um, no Santa."  Santa continued, "Well, let me ask you this?  Are you remembering to pick up your clothes on the floor in your room?"  Both boy's mouths dropped open and they didn't know what to say.  They knew Santa had been watching and the had been caught.  Like a little kid being caught with their hand in the candy jar, they admitted they could do better and promised Santa they'd help their mom out by keeping their clothes picked up.

I love this picture.  The joy and happiness Old Saint Nick brings children really is just one of the reasons why I love Christmas oh so much.


Seriously, with just one shot, I can get all three kids smiling and (almost) all of them looking at me.  Remember my shot from before we got into the zoo, yes picture attempt number 27.  Maybe I just need to have Santa behind my camera each and every time and I could capture more great shots like this!
Santa went on to tell the boys that last year he remembers them writing him a lengthily letter with a very long list of all the things they wanted for Christmas.  This year, he told them, I'm considering you one of my special children.  They listened very closely.  Santa said, I want your letter to list no more than 10 items of things you would like and I want you to know that when you wake up on Christmas morning one of those items will not be there.  See, what I'm going to do is take one of the toys, games or items you want, and take them instead to a family with a little boy who does not have very much.  He then asked them, "Are you willing to be one of my special children and share your gifts?"
Both boys willingly agreed and then Michael said, Santa, you know what I'm going to do for my birthday?"  Michael shared that instead of presents he wanted to donate money for people with breast cancer and to donate any gifts to kids living in a shelter."  Santa told him he was very proud of Michael for his selfless actions.

After covering his topics of desire with the boys he moved onto Dad.  Santa said, "Dad, I want to talk with you too."  He continued, he said, "Do you remember what my favorite cookie is?"  Jarrett guessed chocolate chip to which Santa said, "Remember last year you were suppose to make homemade Macadamia Nut cookies and let Mom have a break?"  Dad immediately knew he had been caught too.  He laughed nervously and admitted, okay Mom made you the cookies last year. The boys thought it was hilarious.  Then Santa told Dad to raise his right hand and repeat after me.

Santa then had dad repeat the following:
"I Dad, promise to spend time with my sons and daughter making homemade macadamia nut cookies for Santa and I will not buy them from a store, because Santa can tell the difference."  Dad agreed and the boy cheered with delight.  They knew watching Dad attempt to make cookies, is going to be one funny scene.

Before letting Santa go to talk to his other families, we had to take just one more group photo.

After a tasty dinner we were off to enjoy all the lights and the beautiful displays...



We spent a great deal of time walking around and taking in the fun that is Christmas lights, Christmas music and choreographed music-light displays.
At one point we sat down to watch a show and that's when the boys decided they were ready to call it a night.  Here is Gabriel and Michael begging us to go home so they could go to sleep.  


As usual, Isabelle could have kept going for probably several more hours.  She loved the lights and the wonder in the pretty bulbs glowing all different colors.

I've always loved the magic of Christmas and I'm so thankful for another Christmas where the magic is still so tangible.  I realize the sand in the hourglass is sifting down and the grains of sand are fewer and fewer.  But I'll take what is left and I'll squeeze every second of enjoyment, wonder and fun out of it.  While I know eventually the wonder in how it all happens will become clear, I also know that if you truly believe, the magic of the season never has to end.

Until next time,
Angie 

No comments:

Post a Comment