The truth that you don't see in these pictures is the constant sickness Madelyn has had seriously for weeks (and all different kinds), the dying of our van and replacement of a new (used) van with the nice new car smell, only to have Madelyn throw up all over in it less than 12 hours later. It doesn't reflect the crazy running here and there to baseball practice, then the second team baseball practice, picking up from practice 1 and practice 2, the breaking of the pool parts- that turned the pool green, Isabelle getting bit by a dog while playing outside, the cupboard door literally breaking off and falling on the floor (after two nameless children were "just touching it" and "I didn't do anything!").
Ah yes, life has been interesting to say the least. I've actually left out several other things on purpose, because I'm seriously pretending they didn't happen, and when I start to think about it, I just want to start crying. But through this I've come to learn that after the crying stage comes another one,... it's a stage when you start to think, "what else?" and instead of crying, you decide you might as well laugh about it and just hold on for the next blow.
Two weeks ago after having the van almost die on us on the crazy rush hour freeway traffic on the way to work, we managed to get back home switch out the car for the next one and get to work. That night Jarrett took the van to a dealership and the next day they called us to share the total damage (cost to repair).... ~$8,000. Seriously... for a van only worth about $4,000 on a good day. As we drove home and Jarrett tried to break the news gently to me he said, yeah I know we've had quite a few expenses lately... want to hear how much the van is to repair? And then he dropped the amount. For a second, okay it was more like a minute, I just stared at him waiting for a big, "Gotcha, actually it's only $1,500." Instead there was nothing. He just kept driving and looking straight ahead. I just started laughing. Like that type of laughing when something isn't that funny, but you just can't stop. The laughing that makes your eyes water and your belly hurt. That was the laughing I had. And it really wasn't funny at all, but seriously. I looked over at him and when I could finally talk through the giggles, I said, "Sounds good. I can't wait for what else."
So that's how I've been trying to handle these 90 mph curve balls being thrown at us. I just keep swinging, striking out most times, and every once an in while hitting a foul ball to keep me alive at the plate (Sorry for the baseball analogy- were back in baseball and it seems to be we are swimming in it).
When you're tired of crying, I guess you might as well laugh about it.
I'm trying to be more mindful in finding at least one thing a day I am thankful for, a different thing each day. Yesterday morning, after Madelyn was sick again all night, and I washed multiple loads of laundry, I gave thanks for my washer. I do love my washer. It has been a loyal companion for me for 11 years now (hold on good washer don't you break on me now) and I sure hope it can keep up with the constant loads of laundry we have piled up next to it each night. I can barely handle touching Gabriel's nasty smelling gym and practice clothes... yet each and every night she works her magic and in the morning, some pretty smelling middle-school boys clothes come out like new.
So that's how I'm going to try to keep on keeping on. As the blows seem to keep coming, I'm trying to keep taking them and fighting. And I'm going to keep capturing the good moments, because I hope someday I look back and have forgotten a lot of these not-so-fun, not-so-good ones, while still holding onto the knowledge I hope come from these hard times.
And now back to the sometimes false image that our life is always a joy....
My dad came to visit a couple of weeks ago and took the girls to the train park.
Dad and the girls watched the ducks swimming.
Dad and I watching yet another baseball game. I seriously look like I may have just woken up from a nap. Jeez I need a good night's sleep!
Grandpa and Madelyn spent a lot of time together watching Westerns while we were at work and school. Don't tell Grandpa but I think Madelyn enjoyed him more than those old cowboy shows.
The kids sure had a great time with Grandpa Chip.
Mom is trying new hairdos for Isabelle's beautiful long and thick hair. She's lucky enough to have natural highlights... that most women have to pay good money for. I too am lucky enough to have my own changing highlights... the gray kind. Is this the new middle-aged natural highlights?
Isabelle also got to celebrate her 6th birthday with a couple of friends from school.
| Isabelle and her friend Callie. |
Isabelle wanted to go to Chuck-e-Cheese. She thought it was the greatest.
These three girls went to preschool together too. They were great friends then and even though Abby goes to a different school, they pick up like they just saw each other yesterday.
Isabelle got to go into the ticket wind machine. Her brothers kept telling her how she was doing it "so wrong" but she did great!
Isabelle, her friend Abby and a photobomb by Abby's mom. She's so fun!
We've also been spending a lot of time at the ball park. Yes game have already started as they've been practicing since... wait did they ever stop?
We all have to do what we have to, to get through the long games sometimes that means you eat a supersize bag of Cheetos!
And you download new games to play on Dad's phone.
| Michael up to bat. |
Gabriel up to bat
Michael up to bat
Gabriel up to bat
They placed 2nd in a tournament over President's Weekend so they were excited. See how much taller Gabriel is than the rest of the kids? He's got the black undershirt on heading toward the right side of the photo. Kid's a giant!
There has also been good times of playing at home between the girls. They really do love each other and play well together (and separately too). I hope they can grow up to be each other's best friends.
It's also been cold here for us... burrrrrrrrr... Madleyn is all bundled up and I had to take this picture because soon enough we are going to be complaining that the heat is never going to end.
We enjoy cold days. I never thought I'd ever say that after living in Iowa for 25 years.
Finally, I'll end with one of the new things Madelyn's been loving... Frozen.... Elsa and Anna... more specifically the song "Let it Go!"
For your viewing pleasure....
So there's a quick update of some of the latest on our end. I realize I'm missing lots of pictures of the boys. One of these days I'll try to snap some pictures of them walking to and from the van as we go from practice to game.
Until next time, could you please help me in sending healing wishes to Madelyn... who has been sleeping next to me for the last 5 hours trying to fight off this nasty bug...
Angie

No comments:
Post a Comment