Without going into too much more detail about the sickness raging through our house, I thought I'd just give an update that we have (fingers crossed) hopefully crossed over the mountain of illness we climbed. (hopefully- key word).
The 10-day fever and super-strong ear infection Madelyn had finally broke last Saturday after she got two antibiotic injections at the doctor. Thank goodness because our next option, the pediatrician said was to go to the hospital for testing.
I'm still unable to hear in my right ear, understand I've got nerve damage which means hearing loss (probably not likely to return) but I'm trying to remain optimistic and remember, it could be worse. Asking people "what" a 100 times a day and saying "Huh" might get old but at least its something I can live with.
So there's that. We are trying to push forward and celebrate moments where the kids are healthy (and fighting) and I'm trying to be grateful... at least I can't hear all of the fighting that happens between the walls of our house. How's that for trying to look at the glass half full.
So with that, I wanted to share just a few random photos I've taken lately, in between all the sick visits.
Here are a few photos I took recently that made me stop and give thanks...
Here are the kids working on a poster for their dad. I love when they can all work together on something. Even though there is 10 years between them, there are some special bonds they share.
| Dad recently climbed the Grand Canyon (a future post) to celebrate 10 years of being in remission from Cancer. The kids made him a banner to congratulate him as we came home. |
Its officially swimming season for the younger kids. Gabriel still thinks its too cold, so he just sat and watched but Isabelle and Michael... LOVED it.
Madelyn has learned what time out is and here she is putting herself in time out because I told her not to jump on the couch, that it was dangerous. She walked (not crying at the time) over to the time out spot, sat down, started crying and then sat there for a little bit. When I came over to her I went through our normal talk and then said, "Say sorry and give me a hug." She said Sorry, hugged me and then went on her way.
I know this won't last but darn its nice not to have be the only enforcer around here.
Madelyn was also slightly happy that she got a new hat today. Can you tell she likes it?
A few weeks ago we planted a rose bush and I was so excited to wake up this morning to see beautiful rose buds waiting to open up. I seriously don't have even a tinge of green in my thumb so this is huge for me.
The flowers make me think of my grandma, she had the prettiest flower gardens.
Well it didn't take long (actually only a few hours after this picture above was taken) that my flowers were no more. The boys decided to play baseball right over my bush and broke off the flowers.
Isn't that so nice!? "But Mom we were just practicing baseball"
So Nice.
I tried to salvage this one by bringing it inside and putting it in this vase my grandma gave me. I'm trying to make a rose out of a broken rose bush.
Speaking of my grandma, the other thing Madelyn has started enjoying to do was to comb my hair with her dolls brushes. Usually they get stuck and pull out several strands of my hair, but it reminds me of what I use to do to my grandma when I was her age.
| Man do I look tired! |
Oh an in another grateful moment I happened to capture...
Michael and Isabelle (our oil and water sibling combination) have actually started playing together, mostly without arguments on rare occasions. Here they are out front talking about something and making a pack, because a few minutes before I snapped this picture, they shook hands. I knew I needed to get out my camera to record this forever... they will never believe that they ever got along when they are grown, so here's my evidence to prove it.
And then there's these two who love each other so much, sometimes they get sick of one another and when they get into it, Isabelle always loses. And by loses, I mean loses a huge handful of hair. Madelyn, that stinker she has found Isabelle's weakness is her long beautiful hair. Perhaps Madelyn is jealous.... but Madelyn seems to be able to rip it really good and the next thing I hear is Isabelle crying and running to me saying, "Mom, she pulled out even more of my hair this time!"
Maybe that's why Madelyn knows the time out spot so well. Lord help me, we are just over a month away from her turning 2. These next two years are always scary.
Today Isabelle said, "Mom, I think Madelyn is the baby Boss of our house. To which Gabriel and Michael chimmed in in agreement. Isabelle then turned to the boys and said, "Brothers, we have to find a way to take away her power. If only she wasn't so cute."
Moments of gratitude. Trying to recognize and celebrate them, among the craziness.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment