Sunday, May 27, 2018

Michael's 11th year

Over 2 months ago Michael celebrated his 11th birthday.  How can it already be he's 11 years and 2 months.  The days, weeks and months have been insane and I simply didn't get to finish this posted I started back at the beginning of February.  But late is better than nothing at all so here's my recap of my middle boy's start of his 11th year.

First off.... how can it be that my little boy, the one who was the same size as Madelyn is now, when he first came to us, is now 11.  Seriously.


Look at that cute (and not-so-innocent) face.  :-)  He's still got the same smile and the not-so-innocent look as well. 

Michael keeps me on my toes.  While we don't share the same blood, we share so many similarities, mostly that we are as determined as stubborn as an old mule.  Therefore we sometimes go many rounds debating or arguing about certain things, and while sometimes we agree to see eye to eye, and other times not, in the end we always come back together with love for each other at the base of our core.  

While I am always proud of Michael, there are some things I've seen this year in Michael's growth that make me shout from the mountain top of just how proud I am.  Michael has shown tremendous leadership growth this year at school.  Not only was he selected to be a part of his school's student council but he was also the one student from the school selected to be on an advisory committee with the districts Superintendent.  Monthly he goes and meets with the other representatives from all the schools in our district and proposes certain changes and ideas he thinks will be best for their school and the students.





To be selected for this role is such a huge honor and Michael has truly stepped up in his leadership and desire to be a positive influence for others.  I couldn't be more proud of him.  

I've also seen him grow more confident in being who he is.  He often tells me he hangs out with the people he likes because they like him for who he is.  I hope he can hold onto that as he enters middle school.

 

One other story I wanted to share is about how caring and considerate Michael is to one kid at school who often is a loner and can be teased by other kids.  Sometimes as a result this student can lose his temper and get very angry.  Michael has found a way to connect with him and bond that as his teachers says, "No other student has done."  They have such a great relationship that when Michael was running for student counsel against this other student, Michael was truly impressed with the speech this boy had prepared.  He said, "Mom, he must have worked really hard on it."  Michael then went onto tell me that when he stood up to give his speech he said, "After listening to his speech, you should vote for him.  If you decide to vote for me, I want you to know that I will talk to "Chris" and collaborate with him and you to make changes, but you should really consider voting for him.  He did a great job." 

I'm not sure how it worked out but Michael was picked to be the class representative and that afternoon when I picked up him from school, his teacher came up to me and I immediately thought, "what happened?"  As Mrs. Crosby got closer, I could see her eyes were welling up with tears.  She said, "I have to tell you, in all my years of teaching I have never been more proud of a student.  The compassion and kindness Michael showed for "Chris" was unlike anything I have seen.  Where most kids don't understand and aren't the nicest to him, your son shows him nothing but friendship and care."  As she finished talking, she had tears streaming down her face that matched mine.  I too was (still am) so proud.



From that moment on, Michael's fifth grade year seem to soar to new heights.  He thrived on getting to be a leader, he loved the challenges of pushing himself and enjoyed being the kid the younger ones looked up to.  Finally, it was his time to get to show all his talents and skills. 

I'm so proud of him.
This past Thursday Michael finished his elementary career and as I picked him up on his last day I asked him what he thought.  I said, "Michael can you believe your life in elementary school is over?  How does that make you feel?"  He answered right away, "I'm so glad."  and then he paused, "Actually I'm kind of sad, it was a really fun year." 


Last morning drop off in 5th grade!
The last day of school for the 5th grade class there is a celebratory kick ball game of the teachers and parents against the kids.  Here's Michael up to kick.  He was the first to score for his grade!
Michael and some of his buddies.
Michael and his best friend Bella.  They've been friends since 1st grade and will be going to middle school together.  I told them to always remain true to themselves and to stick together and middle school will be okay.  It's hard to believe they have grown up so fast!
Here's a picture Bella's mom shared with me of them..
Babies... to grown up kids!

And here he is from the first day to the last day of 5th grade.  My how he's grown.






As I think about sending Michael to middle school this fall, I secretly want to hold him back to keep him from all the craziness I have thus seen middle school to be. 

I keep telling him to always be true to himself, don't be someone your not and to keep your good friends close.  

While he may be going on 11 1/2 and 6th grade... in my eye he'll always be this little guy filling up his shoes with rocks.


Wishing him the happiest 11th year. 



We love you always Michael and are proud of the person you are growing up to be.



Always stay humble and kind... 


Love you always, 

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment