If there was a day when I felt like I was living her song, it was totally today. Today was my Monday, and like every other morning in our house, it was chaotic. The boys start their day before 6 and leave the house by 6:20 each morning to get to cross country practice. After having baseball every night until at least 7:40, most nights its 9:30, they put in some long days. Which means most mornings are a battle to get them up and moving. I can't blame them and they complain but once they are finally there, they love it.
Anyway back to the normal morning...we got the boys out the door and I continued getting ready for work, while I tackled the next challenge... getting Isabelle up. Using the threat that she was going to be late for school again (seriously all the kids were late to school the day before.. like the last bell had already rung and she had to race in before the tardy card and the gate was locked). Thankfully that threat was enough to get her up without too much whining, but then came the constant distractions by anything but getting ready for school. I gave orders as I returned to my bathroom to curl my hair and put on make up. I had to be presentable today, for I was going to be with marketing filming a video for our graduates and so going with the slick back pony tail and polo shirt wasn't going to cut it.
Finally I got Isabelle down to the table and begged her to eat. I put her cereal on the table, took away the toys she had and told her to eat. I thought I had gotten through that challenge well enough so I decided to take on what I thought was going to be the last big hurdle before facing the triathlon of hurdles at work. The challenge... waking up Madelyn for school.
I've said it before but Madelyn is definitely a night owl, which means she's NOT an early bird. She's like a college student on winter break... she'd sleep til 10 each day if we'd let her. It probably doesn't help that she refuses to go to sleep unless I'm going to sleep. So I guess if I'd adopted the sleeping habits of a 38 year old mom of 4, at the age of 2, I'd want to sleep til 10 too. Heck, I want to sleep til 10 now!
Anyway, as I approached my side of the bed which she gladly assumed full reign of when I crawled out of it, and I came up with my strategy, my several plans to make her wake with joy, comply with all my requests with ease and my already behind schedule strategy hope that it was going to be a breeze. Some call it naive... I call it being foolish.
Of course as I tried to gently wake her she shouted NO, rolled over and put the covers over her head. A two-year old teenager, I swear! Then I gave up and immediately defaulted to my go-to parenting strategy... negotiation and bribery. "Madelyn if you get up, I'll make you some yummy oatmeal." NO. Madelyn, do you want to play with your toys, let's get up and I'll get you your toys! (fingers crossed). NO, NO Mom LEAVE ME ALONE! After 15 more pleas and begs for compliance, I decided I'd just pick her up and carry her to the potty (oh did I fail to mention we decided to tackle potty training this week too?) Kicking and screaming the entire way, "LET ME DOWN. NO MOM, LEAVE ME ALONE!" The whole way then throwing a fit in the bathroom and trying to run back to bed, I scooped her up and decided to try candy... who cares that it was before 7 am. I'm a pretty easy negotiator...I had already gone through three negotiations and it was hella early! After about 10 minutes of finally getting her convinced to go potty, we then attempted to try to get her pajamas off and put her into clothes.
With the kindness in sparing you most of the details, lets just say it didn't go smoothly. Lots of tears, mom throwing her towel in a few times and negotiating with myself if the judgement (of taking her to school in her pj's) from the other parents and teachers was worth it instead of fighting. But in the end I decided my will was stronger than her fit and that I'd find a way to get clothing on her. I think most police negotiators should have to try to practice their skills against a toddler, that would totally prepare them what ever future on-the-job challenges they have. Finally, after 5 different shirts to pick, 3 different pairs of pants, 3 sock choices and two different shoe selections I finally got Madelyn in clothes. I felt ragged, stressed and like I had been through a battle but she was dressed, ready for school and we were only 10 minutes late.
Finally we left the house, I told Jarrett to race to the school and I tried in the 1 mile drive to the school, to decompress. As we pulled into the parking lot, I saw a mom walking hand in hand with her son who appeared to be 2 also. Jarrett pulled into the space and I jumped out as the mom and boy passed by me. It was then that I noticed the little boy was wearing his pajamas. I smiled and said, "we had the same battle this morning." hoping to make the mom feel better about giving in to the parent and teacher judgement of taking your kid to school in their pj's. The mom looked at me with a questioning look on her face, then smiled kindly as she walked into the school. I didn't think twice about it, I had to get Madelyn out of the car and into her classroom in less than a minute, we had 9 minutes to make up.
I opened the door to the school, walked to the directors desk to sign her in when I saw the director. I looked as her and thought... wow she must have had quite the morning too, wearing a loose baggy t-shirt instead of her normal dress attire. She said good morning and then got called by a teacher down the hall. As she stood up, I saw her pants and then immediately thought back to the questioning look the mom with the little boy gave me, and then the little boy. I paused, turned around to the computer sign in and that's when I saw the sign...

Happy Pajama Day!
Without a filter I blurted out, "You've GOT to be KIDDING Me!" I looked at the teacher and then said, Is it seriously pajama day?" She smiled with excitement and said, "YES, it is! This is my favorite day, just wake up and come to work with the same clothes you sleep in. It's the best morning to get out the door". I could hardly believe it. Seriously, is all I could say.
Seriously.... its all I can still say.
Isn't it Ironic. Don't you think? It's like rain on your wedding day. It a free ride, when you've already paid. It good advice that you just didn't take. Is like fighting your two year old to get out her pajamas and put on regular clothes for school, when it turns out to be pajamas day. Isn't it ironic.
I guess some days are just like that. We'll try again tomorrow, I promise, and start the day off much like today did. At least tomorrow when I fight the battle, I'll know it can't be pajama day two days in a row. Or maybe I'll just give in and decide we will celebrate pajama day on our own day.
Until next time,
Angie
PS: And in addition to the pajamas it turns out tomorrow I have to dress up all over again... for some reason the camera didn't record the video I did today, so guess we'll try again tomorrow. Isn't it ironic.

No comments:
Post a Comment