This past weekend was the culmination of the boy's cross country season and it ended with an opportunity for them to run at the state meet. We are proud that both boys qualified and got a chance to run at this meet, given how choppy and interrupted their training was. From going back to Iowa mid-season twice for an extended period of time, and adding in baseball 5 out of the 7 days of the week, they were exhausted.
Okay us spectators were tired of the racing around too.
This past Saturday the boys and a few hundred of their peers raced in Surprise. Man that's a long ways away from where we live.
Thankfully the course was set up at a park so there was something for the girls to do while we waited for the boys' races.
Finally, it was time to line up and get ready to go.
Michael was only 1 of 2 sixth graders to run. He was so nervous but did a great job.
Here his coach is giving him some final pointers before the horn
She even brought a water sprinkler to wet them down, it's supposed to be fall here, but it still feels HOT!
We are so thankful that Nana, Papa, Uncle Nolan, Uncle Jarrett and Uncle Jeremy were able to come watch the boys. It was nice of them to take time from their busy schedule to come cheer them on. Madelyn loved the back rides from Uncle Nolan!
And they were off... all of them. It was a sea of runners!
Gabriel and Michael are in there somewhere... look for the pink shirt.
There's Gabriel!
They were running so fast I could hardly get a good picture.
Hence the back of them after they ran by.
The boys finished strong and while they would have liked to have placed higher, I told them they should be proud that they qualified.
Since I never got around to blogging about the season as it was taking place, here are a few photos of earlier races which helped them qualify for the big one.
Gabriel getting ready to pass a few of his teammates.
Perhaps it was because his mom was screaming at him to run faster. :-) Maybe, maybe not.
And then Michael. This was his first time in cross country and I am proud of him for sticking with it, when his brother has 8 inches on him and his strides are almost double, it can get a bit defeating when your mom tells you to go run with your brother to get the miles in. Michael stuck with it and I think was able to meet some good friends through the sport.
These pictures were from one of the first meets when it was almost 110 at the time they ran. It's hard enough to run cross country I think, but with the heat... another reason I admire their stamina.
Here's one guy glad to be done~
Hard to believe the boys are getting so big. I look at them and think... how did we get here so quickly.
Weren't we just here?
Proud of you boys for your performance and working so hard at this sport. I know those early morning runs weren't all fun and games, but you stuck with it and did great.
Proud of you. Love you boys... Mom.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment