Tuesday, August 23, 2022

When you accidently swallow your tooth..

 Madelyn has become quite familiar with the tooth fairy lately, having lost her first tooth just a couple of weeks ago and then last week she lost her second front tooth on the way home from school.  Actually we aren't quite sure where she lost it because were about 99% sure we swallowed it, but still want to believe maybe it fell out some other place and she just didn't realize this.  



As you can imagine this was quite traumatic for her and she not only was a little grossed out by the idea that maybe she swallowed her tooth, but what was even more concerning was the fear that the tooth fairy wouldn't leave her any money because she didn't have a tooth to put out for exchanged. 

We searched all over, the car, the bathroom, the shower, her bedroom, the kitchen, the laundry... no tooth.  I told Madelyn, who I could tell was on the verge of tears, that it would be okay.  That she wasn't the first kid to ever lose a tooth and then lose the tooth and that I believed if she just wrote the tooth-fairy a note, that I'm sure the fairy would still leave her money because she was honest about what happened.

Madelyn immediately ran upstairs, into her artist liar (aka bedroom) and she got to work.  I could tell she was working quite hard on her letter because it took quite a while.   When she came down she ran up to me for a hug and that's when I noticed her tears.  "Mom, I'm so sad" she said as she sobbed into my leg.  "What if the tooth fairy doesn't come?"  I tried to reassure her and encourage her that it would all be alright but she was definitely pretty sad. 

That night when I went upstairs to tuck her in I found her masterpiece letter to the tooth fairy.  She has made this...




As you see in the picture she drew a picture of her inside intestines with the tooth inside to explain to the tooth fairy where the tooth went.  And then she cut out a tiny piece of paper the size of her tooth and put it inside another card so the tooth fairy would know what it looked like.  Isn't this super adorable?

That night when we went to sleep I reassured her it would all be okay and while she tried to believe what we shared, it was clear she wasn't 100% sure.  

Thankfully the next morning when I woke her up, her worries were resolved because the tooth fairy did in fact come and her money was on the beautiful drawing she had left.

So in case you ever have to worry about what happens if you swallow your tooth, you can remind your little people that the tooth fairy will still come, just write a letter, draw a picture and let her know what happened.  No need to fear!

Until next time,

Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment