Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Daddy's Toys

When Daddy was a little boy some of his favorite toys were matchbox cars. He and his brothers would play for hours in the backyard of their home racing them, pretending to be driving the cars and competing to see who had the best one.

As Daddy grew bigger, the time he spent playing with matchbox cars unfortunately grew shorter. In the time I've been married or dating him, I don't think I've ever seen him play with the small cars. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this but with the addition of Gabriel and Michael to our house, Daddy's time of playing with little cars has returned, and boy is he loving it.

The boys have been given several matchbox cars of their own that they enjoy playing with. They race them along the walls, refrigerator, dishwasher, cupboards, beds, basically everywhere but on the floor (where they should race them) in our home.

This past weekend, Jarrett and I were able to add to the boy's excitement of their small collection of cars by going up into the attic and bringing down all of the cars Daddy use to play with as a little boy. Thankfully Nana and Papa (his mom and dad) saved many of the toys Jarrett played with as a boy and after we were married they gave them to us so we could someday let our children play with them.

For the past 7 years, every time I would climb into the attic or into our storage closet, I would see the boxes marked "Jarrett's childhood toys" . Each and every time I would see the boxes my heart would ache that we didn't have anyone to share them with. This past weekend we were able to fulfill yet another hope and dream by dusting off the boxes and bringing them down to share with our boys.

You would have thought it was Christmas yet again at the Haskovec house. Gabriel, Michael and Daddy spent hours carefully inspecting each car, taking inventory of how many cars they had total and racing them to see which ones are the fastest. It didn't matter that some of the cars had all of their paint scratched off, or if a car was missing a door. For the boys they felt so lucky to be able to play with their Daddy's toys and for their Daddy, he was able to reminisce about his wonderful youth and celebrate his blessings of two wonderful sons that he can share part of himself with.

I'm sure we'll have many more Matchbox Saturdays (and Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays; well you get the point). I'm so happy for Jarrett to be able to share this with his boys, as I can see the pride and happiness he has in getting to celebrate this special dream he's carried in his heart for so long too.

Here's some photos of a Daddy having fun with his boys....


Until next time,
Angie

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! It must totally be a 'guy' thing because Adam has TONS of his childhood toys in the garage just waiting to be played with again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris busted out his childhood legos when we went for a visit to his grandmas house, Jesse now is the proud owner of them (but they stay in our room) haha Guys never really do grow up lol

    ReplyDelete