Friday, January 21, 2011

Please wash your face...

I don't know how they do it but it seems the boys do their best to get as dirty as possible everyday they are at school.  Seriously, I dress them in clean clothes and make sure they look nice every morning before school and it seems everyday I pick them up, I find myself asking, "What in the world did you do today to get that dirty?"  I have a friend who use to refer to her kids as daycare dirty and before Gabriel and Michael I had no idea what she was talking about.  Now I do.

From food remnants, paint blotches, milk stains, glitter, dried glue glops to sand, wood chips and plain old dirt, from fingernail to toenail the boys are covered in it everyday.  Today, when they arrived home, it appeared as though they were learning to dive head first into a pool of dirt or had spent the better part of 10 hours in a mine.  They emerged from day care with dirt covering their nose and forehead.  From the moment I saw them I said, "What were you doing?  Were you sticking your head in dirt?"

"Yes Mom, we were digging a hole"  at which point I looked up at Jarrett and gave him a look of "WHAT?"
Since he picked them up today, I was hoping he had an explanation for their appearance. In a calm, no-big-deal of a response he said, "Yea Ms. Kate said they were sticking their faces in the dirt." 

I guess I must be the only one who thinks there may be better activities to do instead of sticking one's face in a pile of sand, dirt and wood chips.  In trying to be conscious of picking my battles, I decided to let it slide and just said, please go wash your face.

As I went back to preparing dinner, I heard Gabriel finish up in the bathroom while Michael was obviously still "getting cleaned up"  A couple of minutes later it hit me that I heard the water still running and hadn't seen Michael come out of the bathroom.  Like a good investigative mother, I went into the bathroom and this is what I found...


Did you know wash your face means wash your entire head, neck and your shirt?

Guess he didn't have enough water yet on him, I waited until he noticed me.

Caught ya!  Then he said, "What Mom?.. it's just a little water.  Do I look pretty?"

Notice the water wasn't just on him... it was all over the mirror, the counter and the floor!

I've learned to take my camera with me when I suspect something is out of sorts... maybe it is the detective inside of me but at least this way I always have evidence.


Until next time,
Angie








 

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! Recently I heard that sound of water running longer than normal and when I went in, I saw that Victoria had somehow filled the sink, and water was overflowing- covering the counter, drenching the Kleenex box and the toilet paper, and pooling on the floor. Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera! Next time I will know better.

    ReplyDelete