Monday, September 16, 2013

How does that even happen?

This morning as we plowed through our normal morning race routine, I got Isabelle a bowl of cereal, poured her milk in it, gave it to her and as I left the room I asked Jarrett to put the milk away for me.

Walking into our bedroom to continue getting ready, I heard him say, "How did this happen?"  Because I only respond to real emergencies in the morning, I didn't pay much attention until I heard his voice getting louder with a series follow up questions.  Knowing that it was a situation I needed to provide support in, I went to the kitchen to see what "emergency" had really happened.

That's when I saw it.  Isabelle's half empty gallon of milk (whole milk) sitting on the counter with Cheerios inside it.  Yes inside the gallon of milk.  I asked, "How did that happen?"  and Jarrett responded, "that's what I said."  After hearing Gabriel immediately demand that it wasn't him, we turned to Michael who knew the pressure was on him.  He shouted, "I didn't do it! (pause, insert whisper) today!"    Dad looked at me, I looked at him and in unison we replied, "When DID you do it Michael?" 

He then went onto explain that it wasn't his fault, that he was just pouring milk into his cereal yesterday and some how the Cheerios ended up inside the milk gallon.  Knowing he was feeding us a line of bologna, we continued the interrogation, "Michael, explain to me HOW the cereal got inside the milk?"  "Mom, I don't know, it just jumped in there.  "Really Michael, since when does cereal JUMP into things?  "He continued his defense, "Mom, I was pouring my milk and when I put the lid of the gallon into the bowl to pour it, my cereal just went into the milk.  I didn't do it though.  The milk did it." 

Realizing we were not going to make any headway on agreeing whose fault it really was,  Dad took the gallon of milk, dumped it down the drain and I returned back to the bedroom.  While they never cease to amaze me, never in my whole life did I think I'd have to start looking inside our gallons of milk to see if any foreign substance, object or other food has "jumped" inside.

until next time,
angie

No comments:

Post a Comment