Although I have every intention, lately it seems like I haven't been able to blog as much as I'd truly like. It seems I start one post, get interrupted, and don't ever make my way back to what I was trying to say. Case in point the blog below I started several weeks ago. Please forgive me; while all the stores and local radio stations have moved onto celebrating Christmas, we're still reflecting upon Halloween. I reflect below.
Last Thursday (actually October 31st) at Isabelle’s school, they had a costume parade
in honor of Halloween. Although Isabelle doesn’t usually go to school on
Thursday, I had asked her teacher if Isabelle could still participate and she
said they’d gladly have us.
| Guess what I am.. Come on, can you guess? |
So that morning, we dressed her up and headed off to school. Upon reaching the front door, I could hear crying coming from all different directions. Opening the door, it was clear, several little people were not too happy to be dressed in their costumes. While at first I think Isabelle was confused why she was being taken so late and why the kids were all bawling (seriously who thought 1 year-olds would know a schedule, but seriously they do), but after walking in and seeing her favorite teacher, she adjusted immediately and was convinced she was there for the whole day, never mind she was wearing a really bulky and fluffy costume.
Ms. Carmen gave Isabelle a big hug and then she turned back to gather the other kids to start walking outside for the parade. I took Isabelle by the hand, so Ms. Carmen could focus on the other 8 or 9 crying babies/toddlers and while I was trying to think what I could do to help, I honestly felt clueless at what I could do. Ms. Carmen always the cool, calm and happy teacher that she is, smiled and said, “They don’t like changing from our normal schedule. That isn’t obvious is it?” While the goal was to have the kids walk out following each other in their costumes for all parents and visitors to see and admire, the reality was there were about 4 or 5 toddlers that were not having any of it, and were not moving unless they were carried. Thankfully Ms. Ashley the director has lots of prior experience so she disappeared into the neighboring classroom, only to reappear moments later bringing their chariot. She cheerfully said, “Your chariot awaits precious little ones.” The next thing I knew four babies were sat in the crib on wheels, aka Chariot and were leading the pack of 1 year olds down the hall to the playground where the parade was waiting to begin. While I thought Isabelle might have been bothered by all the crying, she didn’t seem fazed at all. In fact, upon exiting the door and seeing the slide, the temptation was too much and immediately she deviated from the line to attempt to conquer the 4 and 5 year old’s slide on the playground they don’t get to go to.
| When one was crying, the other one would look at them and start crying. Isabelle just sat in the middle thinking, "what in the world is going on?" |
After successfully getting all the kids outside, still more than 70% of them screaming their heads off, pulling on their costume and throwing themselves on the floor in a fit, Ms. Carmen, again as cool as a cucumber sat each child in a row and started blowing bubbles to distract them from their tears. While my nerves were about shot after only 3 minutes of being there, she was still all smiles. Just a small testament to the wonderful people God created to be our children’s care providers.
| Here Ms. Carmen is doing her best to blow bubbles at the screaming toddlers. Meanwhile Isabelle decided to take off her shoes and make herself comfy. |
I couldn’t help but laugh at the complete chaos and cuteness that was happening all in one spot. While I was feeling the stress the teachers had to feel, I also felt my heart melting with how cute little ones are. While the parade ended up being a complete flop for the 1 year old classroom, it was a perfect Halloween Parade. The kids ended up getting a sucker which immediately calmed them down and the teachers moved everyone back to the classroom where the kiddos felt safe and in their natural surroundings. Isabelle thought it was great also. While she wasn’t so excited to leave school, I convinced her to leave with me. Thank goodness for that sucker.
| Who needs to remove the wrapper anyway. Doesn't it just taste the same with the paper on? |
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment