Thursday, February 11, 2016

25 Weeks: Experiencing Joy!

In some ways I feel like we won the lottery and yet, at the risk of sounding too greedy, there is so much further we want to get.  Still I’m so so thankful for hitting the 25 week mark. While last week we celebrated getting to 24 weeks and not having my water break or deliver this baby, this week I rejoice at the truth that she is still squirming and kicking inside of me and that I’m getting to experience a part of pregnancy I never experienced before. 

As of today I am 25 weeks and 4 days pregnant.  Yes those four days matter, every day we can keep her inside is a big milestone.  I’d be lying if I said last week’s mark wasn’t a huge mental obstacle we broke through, at least for me.  I talked about it in my previous post, but 24 weeks was the date I stared, marked, tagged more than any other date on the calendar when it came to carrying our daughter.  It was such a scary date for me, I couldn’t help myself… the fear of what happened with Noah controlled me fully as I carry her. 

Thankfully Laurie would remind me regularly to look at the truth in the moment for as we approached that date.  Seriously, she got to where she texted me several times a week or even a day to ask me what the truth was in that minute.  As I laid in bed, worried I was in early labor again, it was a minute by minute reminder I needed to bring myself back to the moment that at that second, baby girl was okay, I was in bed to quiet the symptoms and that’s all the control I had.  Thank God those moments, turned to minutes, minutes to hours, hours to days, and days to weeks.  Now we are three weeks later, celebrating the victory of getting this FAR and holding onto hope that in three weeks from now we can look forward and give thanks for being at 29 weeks, and that in three months from now, I’ll be preparing for the birth of our daughter.  It’s a dream now, but hopefully a reality in our future.

Now entering into a stage of pregnancy I’ve never been in before, I find myself wondering what it will be like.  This week, I feel myself getting bigger than I’ve ever been.  Not only does the scale reinforce that message, but my stretching stomach tells me too.  A couple of nights this week, I’ve told Jarrett I feel like a balloon is inside my stomach stretching everything as far as it can go.  Feel how tight it is.  He gently touches it and responds, “Well its hopefully gonna get a lot bigger.”  I guess in a way I hope it does too, as that will mean we are getting further along to our end goal… full term, healthy baby.

And as new as the expanding feeling is in my stomach, another new feeling for me this week is joy.  This is the first time in this pregnancy where I have been able to push aside the fear so much, that I’ve allowed joy to be the dominant feeling.  As sad as it makes me to admit this, it has been the truth.  I’ve been so consumed by the fear of losing this baby, of what tragic thing is in waiting, that I haven’t allowed myself to simply enjoy what is happening inside of me.  This week, I finally got the courage to change that.

As we hit week 25 and I realized that at most I may have only 15 or so weeks of being pregnant left.  And as scary as it has been for me to think about even getting to that milestone, the reality also hit me that this is my once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience something I have wanted since I was a little girl.  Why don’t I start enjoying it and relishing each kick, jab or roll happening inside of me.  After Noah was born I remember in those first weeks, missing the feeling of having him inside and I wonder, if I’ll miss, probably pretty much a 100% chance of yes, having the feeling of her move inside of me.  In the 10 plus years of infertility and wanting nothing more than to become a mom, I begged God for a chance to get pregnant, to be able to give life.  Here I am now, moving up daily on the percentage charts of bringing home a baby, and why in the world would I ruin this experience by being so afraid?  I don’t want to look back on this pregnancy and be sad I didn’t find joyous moments, even though it was scary.

So that’s been my focus this week.  I’ve tried very hard to celebrate each kick, to record in my mind what it feels like to have her move inside.  I also started talking to her like she’s actually listening.  Sometimes its singing her songs, other moments saying our prayers, and sometimes just telling her what I’m doing.  I hope she comes to recognize my voice and those of Jarrett’s and the kids.  I think she already recognizes Isabelle’s as she often kicks or moves when Isabelle’s near… perhaps it just that Isabelle likes to make her presence known.

This week as far as highlights, we went back to the doctor on Tuesday for an ultrasound to monitor the amniotic fluid level she has.  Just like with Noah, I’ve been taking Motrin every 6 hours for many weeks to keep the contractions at bay.  While the medication works wonderfully, a side effect of the meds is that it is can decrease the fluid level.  As a result we have to have weekly ultrasounds so they can check the fluid level and make sure she’s got enough to drink.  When I took Motrin with Noah, we found out the fluid level was dangerously low. We can only look back now and wonder if it was fully due to the Motrin or other complications.  This time when the doctors said to begin taking Motrin again for the contractions, I was really nervous.  However they reassured me they would closely monitor and that sometimes women are on Motrin for months during their pregnancy.  For me, I’ve been able to experience a big difference as I take the medication in the strength and frequently the contractions come as compared to when I don’t take the medication. 

The other change this week is that my progesterone injections will be given every 5 days instead of every 7 at least for the next few weeks, til we get to 30 weeks.  I shared with my nurse that I can tell as we get towards the end of the week my contractions come back stronger and I just don’t feel as good (have more cramping, etc) as the shot wears off.  She said its possible to administer it more frequently if its helping that much so she was going to put in the order to increase from every day 7 to every 5 days.  She herself said, if we can get you to 30 weeks, that’s a big difference compared to 29, 28 or even earlier.  I’m all for it, even if it leaves a huge welt and bruises for weeks- I’ll gladly take it!

So back to my appointment, yesterday at the ultrasound we received a great report--- again so thankful!  Not only does baby girl have plenty of fluid, (measuring at 16 and the goal is between 10-20) but my cervical length is good.  We also learned that starting at this week they will monitor to make sure that the ductus arteriosus hasn’t closed.  This is the duct that closes for babies in the birthing process.  Noah’s didn’t close when he was born due to his prematurity and was something the doctors told us they would want to address as he got older.  Sadly, we never had to cross that bridge.  Yesterday we learned that another possible complication of taking Motrin during pregnancy is that it can often times make the ductus arteriosus close early.  This is NOT something doctors want to see as it can restrict the oxygen supply to the baby in utero as baby’s breath differently inside their momma’s tummies versus when they take their first breath outside. We’ve learned so much about pregnancy in these last two years, I’m thankful for the information.  From the ultrasound they could tell that baby girl’s ductus hasn’t closed- yay another victory!  The final victory for me at least was that baby girl had repositioned herself inside.  Last week, she was butt out, face in and she spent several days curled up in a ball.  While it may have been a super comfy position for her, it felt like she was busting through my stomach. 

I was so happy to see yesterday she had changed positions slightly and while she’s now head down- wAAAAAy down, she’s turned on her side resting (makes sense why I have to go to the bathroom so much).  It is more comfortable for me (and I hope her too).  As a result  of her new position we got to see some cute profile and face shots, at least for a few moments before she put her hands up in front of her face as if to say, “No more pictures today!”



As we left the doctor’s office yesterday, Jarrett and I talked about just how thankful we are for each positive report and how it gives us so much encouragement to keep believing that maybe our dream of bringing home a healthy baby will come true. 


So here’s to 25 weeks, with optimism that week 26 is right around the corner.  Here’s to relishing in the JOY of being pregnant and to cherishing each moment I get to experience with her inside, growing, and thriving.  Here’s to our little rainbow baby.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment