Last Thursday night, I laid in bed, unable to sleep. While most
nights, these days, I'm up for a couple of hours, this night it was worse.
My mind felt occupied, so many thoughts racing through my mind and no
matter what I tried I couldn't quiet my thoughts. And then it hit me why
my I felt so unsettled.
All day long I knew it was the 25th but
that night, like most around our house, life got crazy and then it was time for
bed. I fell asleep quickly but awoke an hour and 15 minutes, (bathroom
break number 1 of many each night) and couldn't get back to sleep.
Fast forward several hours later, 6
episodes into The Office binge
watch I'm on each night, I still couldn't fall back asleep. I kept
thinking about Noah and about this baby girl. As always I wondered what
Noah would have been doing if he were still with us, if my up-all-night routine
would be because I'd be feeding him, or if he'd be a good sleeper like his
daddy. I wondered how he would have grown and changed looks and what his
baby babble would sound like. It is in those moments I find such
happiness in day (or night) dreaming... the what if's, the I wish so much.
And soon thereafter, the reality sits in
that I'll never know, never experience or get to find out what it was supposed
to be like according to my life plan. It’s the heartache that floods my
insides. Oh how I miss him so much.
Laying there in the dim lite room, as The Office played on mute
in the background, images of Noah, played actively in my mind. At the
same time baby girl awoke, and made her presence inside my belly known.
She rolled around and stretched, pushing her hand and foot out each side
of my stomach. I love feeling her move. With each movement I’m
reminded of the miracle happening inside of me and can't help but smile as I
know, in this moment, she's okay. Such peace I find through this still
scary experience.
I started rubbing my stomach as if to say,
"I feel you baby girl, Mommy loves you and hopes you are safe in
there." She'd respond back by stretching a bit farther, moving her
hand across my belly.
I reached across the bed to my phone on
the nightstand. I started flipping through my pictures from the most
recent ultrasound. I wanted to see her face again. I stared at the
picture, mesmerized with her features. Dad and I have been guessing whose
features of whose she has. In the middle of staring at her, I thought of
Noah. I flipped to my pictures of him, of those great times we had in the
NICU and of how peaceful he looked in some of the pictures. It reminded me
of baby girl in her ultrasound photo... peaceful.
I went to the app on my phone that allowed
me to compare pictures side by side. Big brother and little sister next
to one another...
Looking at both of them I realized they
looked so much alike. And looking at them I realized how much my heart
loves both of them. While I'll never get to hold Noah in this life and I
haven't yet gotten to hold baby girl, my heart knows love for them in ways I've
never felt before. Loving Gabriel, Michael and Isabelle came the moment I met
them and has grown leaps and bounds in the time we've been a family. With
Noah and baby girl, my love came from the moment I learned of them, when they
were just forming, before I "met" them. The love I have for
my children is both different and all the same.
I’ve realized that love spans beyond genetics, it can start at any
moment, it grows beyond this world and it’s a feeling that grows for all of them with each
passing day.
Losing Noah has been the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced and I’ve
learned whether it’s been 1 hour since he left us or 8 months, the hurt doesn’t
go away. It changes, it morphs and
adapts, just like we have in these past 8 months. We are learning how to live in a life with sadness
is missing him, gratefulness for what we have and hope for what’s to come.
Until next time,
Angie
Until next time,
Angie

They do look alike! Congratulations on passing 28 weeks... Baby girl is happy to keep growing inside her mommy.
ReplyDelete