Its hard to believe today is Christmas. Where has the year gone? Tomorrow we wake up and get back into the swing of things and it feels like life goes back to the crazy hustle and bustle. These last few weeks have been a lot of fun as we celebrate Christmas really for more than one day in our home.
I've always loved Christmas and so we try to squeeze every ouce of joy we can out of it. It starts before Thanksgiving and lasts through the holiday. This year I, feeling quite tired, mentioned perhaps we wouldn't put up all of our decorations that we normally do. We have 9 trees in our home and that on top of outside lights, other decorations, holiday baking and shopping, I was wiped out even thinking about it. However, when I mentioned maybe we wouldn't put up all the trees this year, and maybe just have one, the kids and Jarrett wouldn't have it. The kids said, "But mom, no we have to have it all up, it isn't Christmas unless the whole house is decorated." And Jarrett just asked me if I was sick? I told the kids they were going to have to help me as it is a lot to do just one person. They obliged and so all the decorations were put up.
Below are a few, okay a lot, of pictures about how we've been celebrating the holidays in our home.
I've always loved Christmas and so we try to squeeze every ouce of joy we can out of it. It starts before Thanksgiving and lasts through the holiday. This year I, feeling quite tired, mentioned perhaps we wouldn't put up all of our decorations that we normally do. We have 9 trees in our home and that on top of outside lights, other decorations, holiday baking and shopping, I was wiped out even thinking about it. However, when I mentioned maybe we wouldn't put up all the trees this year, and maybe just have one, the kids and Jarrett wouldn't have it. The kids said, "But mom, no we have to have it all up, it isn't Christmas unless the whole house is decorated." And Jarrett just asked me if I was sick? I told the kids they were going to have to help me as it is a lot to do just one person. They obliged and so all the decorations were put up.
Below are a few, okay a lot, of pictures about how we've been celebrating the holidays in our home.
The Christmas tree set up... it takes me a couple of weeks to get all the trees up. Here Michael is helping me with one of our 12 foot trees. The first picture is the mid-way photo and the right one is us starting.... it transforms into a really pretty tree I think.
Thanks to several trips to Lowes and Home Depot. How come the lights seem to only last one season. Oh well, it allows us to browse for other decorations.
Isabelle and Madelyn were quite excited to see Santa. Isabelle even got some air time in her jumping for joy.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care... the mantle is quite full now huh? I love it.
Some of our Christmas trees. Man do I love how warm and cozy they make the house feel Each one unique, each one a theme per say, each one with special memories.
Jennings loved the trees this year too. He liked to watch the lights and star at the ornaments.
During the holidays we love to go see movies at the theater. In fact today we went to see Jumanji, it was cute! A few weeks ago we went to see Frozen (twice), it was so good.
Then came the turn for the outside lights and I recruited Gabe and Michael to help me as Jarrett hurt his knee, had to have surgery and has been on crutches for several weeks.
Gabe didn't mind climbing all the way up on the roof (some 25 feet in the air), although it made me nervous he was very careful and seemed to enjoy "being the man of the house" to do it.
I took this picture one night before we went to bed and I had to smile as Jarrett sitting next to the tree seems so small compared to the giant evergreen.
One of our dear friends gave us this gift this year and I love how it lights up and that it's personalized with our name. It is right at the front door as one enters. We truly do believe in the magic of Christmas.
Frosty the snowbaby...aka Jennings has truly loved this holiday too, although he doesn't quite understand all the chaos happening in our home.
Madelyn knows this year and she is loving some of the other traditions we've been having, like the Elf on the Shelf (for another post)
Side note: She loves to dress herself now picking out her pretty clothes. I love how she loves rainbows and naturally seems to gravitate to them too.
Gabe posing for a rare photo.
There's something special about the glow of Christmas trees and a baby sleeping nearby.
Don't the girls look so cute? With the rainy weather we've been having lately, the girls got a chance to wear their matching rain jackets. Super cute!
And Daddy is finishing up his final weeks of leave here at home, which has been nice for the holiday season. Jennings is loving the extra time he gets with dad.
Last weekend at our church they had Christmas in the Courtyard complete with a Christmas train. Nana and Papa came to it and the girls got to ride the train with them.
The girls didn't enjoy it at all. ;-)
Another fun activity we did this Christmas season was have a gingerbread house making competition. Everyone was given graham crackers, frosting and toppings and had to come up with a sturdy house that was decorated. It was a friendly competition and all seemed to have fun.
Another annual Christmas activity we do it paint Christmas photos. I know we have many around the house now and someday I hope to pass them onto the kids (I know they probably won't want them and their spouses will ask them to toss them, but that's okay- its for fun now and they all love it).
Below is Gabe's picture for this year... he rushed through his as he instead wanted to talk with his friends (no surprise)
The rest had fun and painted beyond their canvas (the table, the chairs, even a few spots on the wall-thanks Madelyn).
And Michael celebrated his first attempt at making a Nutella/banana crepe. Isabelle and Madelyn enjoyed it too.
Oh yes this Christmas has been magical. I remember last Christmas wishing so much for the baby growing inside me to get to be with us this Christmas. And he is such a wonderful addition into our family. We are so grateful he is here, they the other 4 are too. This Christmas I was very intentional about not trying to soak up each moment, for my greatest wishes have come true and great thanks is what I have to give.
Merry Christmas to all. Wishing you all happiness, joy, love and good health.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment