I've always been a fan of the Discovery Channel's Shark Week. When I was little, my siblings and I would cuddle together and watch it with my mom and dad. Becuase of Shark Week, I think I've always had the fear of being attacked by sharks in the back of my mind, every time I enter the ocean.
Tonight we treated the boys to a few minutes of shark week and boy were they excited. If only shark week could be on every few weeks. Normally I have to pry the kids away from their toys or books before bedtime so we can take a bath or brush their teeth. Tonight, in between commercials I said, "Boys lets go brush our teeth now and we'll be done before it comes back on." You would have thought I said, "Boys if you jump up right now, race into the bathroom, brush your teeth, clean up the sink and wipe your faces, I'll let you stay up all night long and eat candy!" I've never seen them move so fast to do one of my chores.
The boys seemed truly amazed with the images of the sharks swimming around in the ocean. From a Tiger Shark, to a Leopard Shark, a Hammerhead Shark and of course the Great White sharks. In addition to showing the sharks swimming around, one image showed the sharks circling around a family of elephant seals resting on a small island. The boys heard the show's moderator announce that elephant seals are some of the great white sharks favorite meals. Not approving of the idea that the sharks would eat the seals Gabriel said, "Mom, why do they eat seals."
"Well, Gabriel because sharks have to eat too and I guess they just like the taste of seals."
"Mom, why can't they just eat shark food."
As I was just about to explain that elephant seals are shark food, Gabriel interrupted me and said, "You know mom, the tiny tiny little food, like what Grandpa Ray has at his house for fish?"
"Um well, I suppose Gabriel that would be okay, but don't you think the sharks would still be hungry after eating that food, because the food that you are talking about is little and sharks are big."
"Mom, they wouldn't be hungry if they eat everyday."
"I suppose you are right but who is going to feed them."
"Well mom, I think we'll just have to feed them."
"We will? Are you sure?"
"Yea, Daddy, you, me and Michael can feed them everyday but not Jack mom, I'm afraid they'll eat Jack." "Okay honey, we'll think about that."
"Okay Mom, you think about it and tell me your answer in the morning."
"Okay honey, I guess I can do that."
I've been wondering for some time now what my true career calling is and I'll admit it, I've thought about doing a lot of different things. From a teacher to a fire fighter, a NICU nurse, and even a marine biologist, I feel like my interests have run the gamut but I can honestly say being a shark feeder has never been (and never will be) on my list.
Until next time,
Angie
Funny, Tino and I just recently had a conversation about sharks eating seals. He saw a picture of that in a magazine and asked me, "Shark eat the otter?" Yes, I told him, although it was actually a seal. Then he says, "That not nice." Then, "Shark get in trouble?" Kids are so funny!
ReplyDelete