While I prepared dinner the other night Michael was sitting at the kitchen table cutting out a pig project he had made at school. He was very involved in the process of cutting out the pig and I watched as he moved his open mouth in the same direction he moved the scissors. A true sign he is really into something. Not speaking a word (which is a feat in itself for Michael), he was focusing on cutting and I could tell having a conversation in his mind.
I went about my business preparing dinner and let him alone to think and focus on his cutting skills. Then out of nowhere Michael and I had the discussion I've wondered in my head how I will ever feel comfortable having. It was a topic I though I had at least 5 more years to prepare for. It was the talk about puberty. I know I could hardly believe it myself....
As he turned the piece of paper and successfully finished cutting out the pig's snout, he looked up, put down his scissors, set the pig down on the table and said, "Mom, when can I get a mustache?"
"What honey? What did you say?" I said.
"Mom, when do you get a mustache? I want one.
Looking directly at him and walking over to the table I smiled and said, "What do you mean a mustache?"
"You know mom, like the one Dad has? The one he gives me whisker rubs with."
Again making the mistake of not thinking before speaking, I immediately blurted out, "Oh honey, you'll get one when you go through puberty. You'll just have to wait a few years."
Sitting quiet for just a second, I could tell he was reviewing every word carefully as it hit his ears. Then he smiled, got up from his chair and headed toward his shoes which were on the floor right next to the couch. As he started to put on his shoes he said, "No Mom, can you take me to poobertea (puberty) now so I can get my mustache?"
Deciding I was a chicken and not ready to have the "puberty" talk yet, I just said, "Honey, I promise to take you someday but right now we have to eat dinner okay?"
Okay Mom, maybe we can go tomorrow? to which I simply replied... "Maybe"
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment