School has been in full swing for the last month now and the boys are working and learning a lot. It is amazing to me how differently each of them approach school.
Gabriel is very serious and tries hard to make sure he remembers all of the things he's suppose to bring and work on for school. Every school morning he shouts out all the things he has to make sure he has...
homework... check
folder... check
backpack... check
water bottle... check
lunch bag... check
snack...check
Seriously there are so many things to remember, it is amazing I remember to go to work after checking off all the things he needs just for kindergarten.
And then there is Michael. He takes a, well, completely different approach to getting ready for school. He's our more carefree child. He doesn't care if he's on time for school or not. In fact, he'd probably prefer to arrive fashionable late, if I'd let him. The one saying he hears about 50 times every morning is "Michael Hurry Up!" or when we feel like changing it up we say, "Hurry Up Michael!" He causally gets up walks around the house for about 10 minutes, doing, well were not quite sure what he does for 10 minutes. By that point Gabriel is up, has his bed made, changed clothes, gotten his school stuff all ready and it at the table eating a bowl of cereal all by himself.
After helping Michael get things in order, we are racing out the door and hurrying to get on the road as we are usually about 10 minutes behind schedule. It is usually at that point Michael remembers he has something else he needs to do, or that it is "show and tell" day and insists on stopping so he can get a toy to share.
The same things happen I understand at school. Gabriel takes the subjects he is learning about very seriously and recites the lessons learned on the car ride home. Michael on the other hand approaches school more like social hour(s). And it is almost as if everything he has experienced in the 9 hours he's been at school, miraculously vanishes from his memory the moment we walk out of the school door. I pick him up first and on our way to get Gabriel I ask him the same questions and I always get the same answers".
MOM: "Michael, how was school today?"
MICHAEL: "I don't know."
MOM: Michael what letter did you learn about today?
MICHAEL: "Letter B Mom (Seriously they've been learning about the letter B for the last 43 weeks. Either his class is having some difficulty learning the letter or it is the easiest letter to remember)
MOM: "What did you have for lunch?"
MICHAEL: I dont' know"
I tell ya, the school must have a magical door that erases memory. :-)
After we have the same conversation day after day Michael then interjects and says "Mom, look what I made at school and I learned the kids how to make them too."
It is then that he reveals his prized masterpiece...
Yep that is right.. Michael has mastered the art of making paper airplanes. He's so talented at making them that he turns all of his school art projects into airplanes. And not only does he turn all of his projects into airplanes but the teachers have so kindly informed that he is teaching the other kids (boys) in the class how to make them. I guess his talent must be in very high demand because his "clients" want him to practice making them during quiet reading time, circle time, centers and even during nap time.
When I ask Michael about it he says, "Mom, the kids want me to show them how to make it. It is okay though mom because the kids say please." What is a parent to say after that?
We've now implements a no paper airplane policy at school. We'll see tomorrow what he brings home.
It is amazing to me how so similar and yet so different the boys can be.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment