Thursday, February 23, 2012

Jack's reaction...

It has been very interesting to watch Jack's reaction to baby Isabelle.  For so long, well actually his whole life, he's been the smallest in our home and thus treated as the baby.  When Gabriel and Michael came along Jack realized he moved farther down the food chain and adjusted quickly to the fact that 2 walks a day were a part of his memory. 

And now that we've welcome Isabelle into our lives, I think Jack has come to the realization once again that his priority is now unfortunately last.  So far he's taken to it with great understanding.  Before when I'd say, "Come here Baby" or, "Oh my little baby" I'd be talking to Jack.  Lately I catch myself of course saying those sort of things to Isabelle.  Just the other day when I had just said "Oh Baby, it is okay."  as I changed her diaper, I noticed Jack perked right up when I made that comment.  I then realized he's probably very confused.
"Why does she keep calling that tiny thing that cries all the time a baby?"  (just guessing what Jack is thinking)
"Why does she keep giving that tiny little thing all the attention and not giving me any?" (again probably something Jack is thinking.)

And even though everything about those comments above is correct, Jack has graciously welcomed a new little (even smaller than him) person into our family.  In fact he's taken to protecting her.  He continues to lay around in his bed, sleeping for most of the day.  But at the moment Isabelle makes a noise he perks his head up to listen.  And if her cry gets louder, he immediately goes to her to investigate what is happening.  This morning when I was trying to shower, Isabelle had decided she didn't want to sit in her swing and wanted me to help her with something.  As I quickly tried to wash the shampoo out of my hair and as she screamed from the top of her lungs, Jack went over to her, look at her crying, then looked at me as if to say, "Come on mom, get your act together, she needs you?" and then looked back at her.

It has been pretty fun to watch Jack's reaction and I'll look forward to them growing a closer relationship as she gets older.  I have a feeling Jack will be her protector, as Gabriel is Jacks. There have been quite a few times at night, since Isabelle has come home, that we've gone looking for Jack only to find him curled up under her cradle sleeping while she sleeps soundly.  It is truly a precious sight.

I continue to gives thanks for all that these last few weeks have blessed us with and I have to admit, I still have to pinch myself, because I just can't believe that all of my dreams have come true.

Until next time,
Angie

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this post Angie! My friend Tonia has a little Riley dog that is the same breed as Jack and he too protects her little 1 year old the same way. Tonia tells me about how when she reads her daughter a book on the couch, Riley will go and sit inbetween them and the front door as if to protect them from any intruders. :) Dogs are so very special.

    ReplyDelete