Note: Although I thought I posted this several weeks ago, I guess it never posted... So here's a summary of our trip although it happened now over a month ago...
It always seems like our trips to Iowa fly by. Although this trip went faster than the rest and it was jammed packed with stuff going on. We originally went back to celebrate my parents 35th Wedding Anniversary but also tried to see Jarrett's family as his Grandma was celebrating her 85 birthday the weekend after and my mom was opening her brand new Bed and Breakfast.
Michael, Isabelle and I left on a Wednesday afternoon and arrived in Iowa at midnight. After flying into Mexisoda as Michael said (or as most people call it Minnesota), Grandpa Ray and Aunt Megan picked us up only to then ride another 3 hours just to get to our small town. Michael full of excitement didn't want to go to sleep so he rode quietly in the back of the van asking every 15 miles, are we almost there yet? Arriving at 11:44 p.m in our hometown Michael could hardly wait to jump out of the van to greet Grandma Darlene, Grandpa Chip, and Marjory Love (my Godmother).
The next few days were spent helping my mom put the finishing touches on her bed and breakfast, her new adventure as they move into retirement. When I tell people my mom is starting a bed and breakfast most people ask me how old she is and when I say they are leaving one business so they can "retire", I get a lot of puzzled looks. I guess it has been a dream of my mom's to do this and wow has she done an amazing job. She and my dad (although my dad is very clear to say this is all my mom's effort) purchased a home more than 100 years old from the bank as the previous owner attempted to remodel it, ran out of money and then left it. My mom has transformed this home into a wondrous site. She has done an amazing job and if anyone is ever in New Hampton Iowa, I strongly encourage them to visit and stay a night. Here's a quick plug in case you'd like to see a quick preview of what it looks like... https://www.facebook.com/CozyCorners
So Thursday and Friday we spent the day getting ready for her grand opening. While Isabelle and I helped the other ladies getting the place ready, Michael spent the day in his glory with Grandpa Chip, Grandpa Ray and Uncle Jonas. Michael was in Heaven. He got to ride on a tractor, a crane, a 4-wheeler, play with "toys" his mom would NEVER let him play with and he got to be a true boy. From the moment he awoke in the morning to well after dark at night, he had a blast getting to be a little boy in the great state of Iowa.
On Friday night we surprised my parents by having Gabriel and Jarrett fly back. They arrived at midnight and it was then clear why we were trying to keep my mom and dad awake. I think they were surprised as we had been insisting for weeks that it was just Michael, Isabelle and I coming back. Although they didn't say it at the time, I think it really meant a lot to them that all of us were there.
After Mom's successful opening of her B & B we awoke on Saturday morning to start getting ready for their 35th Wedding Anniversary celebration later that day. Before then we made a trip to Alta Vista (a neighboring small town) to spend time with Jarrett's family. Although we wish we would have had more time to spend, we enjoyed a great Iowa BBQ and quickly caught up with everyone.
And then Saturday afternoon and night we went to the ballroom that my parents had owned for 27 years and celebrated them. It was great to get to see everyone and the boys danced the entire night. People kept asking me where they get their energy and it turns out someone (who shall remain nameless) was feeding them soda all evening. I guess that helps right?
On Sunday we surprised my parents for the last time and scheduled family pictures. The last time we had family pictures my last name was different and my sister was only 8. She's now 22. It was time to say the least. Sunday evening as we were all exhausted and just wanting to go to bed, we had to make a special trip to the best pizza place in the entire world. Mabes Pizza in Decorah Iowa. Although an hour drive it is definitely worth the trip and I continue to try and brainstorm how I can get their pizza here in Phoenix.
And Monday, our final day in Iowa, it seems it flew by without a blink of an eye. We wrapped up things and before we knew it, we were boarding our plane to get back to the desert. The few days we were in Iowa were enjoyable and I think we are still trying to recover from the lack of sleep.
The boys begged and wished and pleaded, even negotiated to try and get to stay. They said, "Mom, you can go back and we'll stay here."
It was a great trip and we have wonderful memories to reminisce about.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment