Sunday, November 4, 2012

I'm a cooker....

Michael has become very interested in cooking.  At the after school program he and Gabriel attend, they have special classes the students can take.  The classes range anywhere from science club to quilting, cooking and chess.  This quarter Michael decided to join the cooking club and he LOVES it.  Recently when I picked him up he was wearing his chef's hat, or at he calls it, his "cooker hat."  Excitedly he announced, Mom I know how to make Krispie Treats.  Can I make them for you?  
I love to cook and I think it is a great (and important) skill to pass onto my children.  So when Michael asked me if he could cook, I happily obliged.  He put on his cooker hat, needed a cape (aka Apron) and went to town.  He knew exactly what he needed and pulled all of the ingredients out of the pantry.  He knew he first had to cook the smashmellows (another word for smashed marshmallows) and put the cereal in a bowl.
<

I could tell he was beaming with pride as he made them.  It was something he enjoyed and something he was confident he could do well.  I proudly stepped back and let him make all the decisions of what to do next.  I may have even pretended not to know how to make Rice Crispy Treats so he could "teach" me all that he knows. 

It was clear, he loved every minute of it.
And when the smashmellows were combined with the cereal he stirred and stirred and stirred.
and he poured them into a pan (adding some M&M's) after mom's inquisitive suggestion that chocolate might make them taste even yummier.
and smooth out the top of the bars before proudly showing off the finished product to all of us. He then carefully cut each of us a bar and gave us one to try.  Of course they were the best tasting rice crispy treats we've ever tasted and we celebrated his first successful dessert made all by himself.

Several times throughout that afternoon and evening Michael said, "Mom do you like by rice crispy treats?  They are yummy aren't they? I'll make them again for you okay?"

I'm very proud that he's growing up and learning so many new things.  It has truly been fun to see each of the kids find their own interests and niches.  And it is kind of a benefit for me too.  I appreciate the help in the kitchen and LOVE the treats!

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment