I'll never forget how he grabbed my hand after giving me the warmest embrace any new mother could ask. He led me around his foster family's home and without a second thought, he introduced me as his mother within minutes of having met me. In that second, he had shown me, had given me the gift of pure acceptance and pure love. In every day since it is those same gifts that he continues to give.
Gabriel's heart and ability to care for others is one of his many greatest talents. The number of times he, out of the blue, comes up to me, gives me a hug and without any reason, says, "Mom, I love you." reminds me about just how lucky I am. I can't help but wonder what causes him to feel that, for I admit, I am no where near a perfect mom and many times wonder if I'm even so deserving. Gabriel carefully observes and takes in many things that I feel can easily be taken for granted. It is the simple slide of my hand onto his knee at church that causes him to lean into my shoulder, and tilt his mouth to my ear. Moments later his whispering words meet my ear, "I love you so much mom" as his arms wrap tightly around my arm with a wish almost to say, never let go mom, never let go. I can't help but think that as a child I was too oblivious to notice such simple expressions of caring and love. But not our Gabriel, he clings to and relishes those moments of pure love. For that reason I can't help but wish this quality upon him for the rest of his life.
And here we are on the first day of him being seven years old and I can hardly believe he's reached this milestone. Where did the little boy with the toddler looking hands go? For now their grown into hands almost as big as mine. And where did that little boy go with the tiny feet and the short legs disappear to. For those tiny feet and filling a big boys shoes and those legs seemed to have stretched much farther than I can imagine at this age. And while he seems to be growing by leaps and bounds and becoming a big kid in front of my eyes, there are still many things that I still see as the same...
Those eyes will continue to tell the greatest stories. Stories full of adventure, expression, emotion and love. Eyes that are so beautiful I can't help but get lost in them as I wonder about his past, cherish the moment of now, and dream of what stories those eyes will tell me in the future.
And while those legs seem to stretch forever, there seems to be another thing that stretches as he grows. His heart and the love he gives. Although he's growing into a big kid, some of the things he still enjoys most, is being wrapped in loving arms and feeling completely safe and cared for. It has been so fun to watch him grow from a little boy to a big kid gaining confidence in his abilities, participating in activities he loves and celebrating all things about being a kid.
Happy birthday my
Until next time,
Mom
.jpg)
.jpg)
Angie, you are a great mom, and Gabriel is a wonderful son. You deserve each other. Happy birthday Gabriel!
ReplyDelete