The other day we all, the entire family, took an adventurous trip to the mall so dad could get some new work clothes. I told dad he could go on his own, but he asked for me to come along so he'd have someone with a bit of fashion sense. Anyone who's seen us lately, knows we are both in desperate need of some fashion sense but I digress. So anyway, I explained that if Dad wanted me to come along he was going to have the entire crew in attendance.
He sighed and under his breath muttered something about
expecting a disaster, but I provided reassurance and off we went. Secretly mom was prepared. I had everything I could think of for
Isabelle and for the boys I brought along coloring books and colored
pencils. As we walked into the store and
dad started pursuing, I found an ideal spot and set up shop. I gave the boys specific instructions there
was to be no running around, in out and of racks and that it was important to
stay quiet. I figured dad had 20 minutes
to shop.
Somewhat my surprise, and completely to dads, the boys
actually complied and sat on the carpet in the corner outside of the department
store dressing room and quietly colored.
Yes they colored for more than an hour and 45 minutes while Jarrett pulled
dress shirts and slacks, tried them on, searched for other things and finally
decided up on what he was going to get.
In the time the kids and I had to bond over colors, the boys came up
with a business proposition, which I of course 100% supported in an effort to
keep the great behavior continuing. The
boys decided that if they colored pictures as nicely as they could (no scribble
scrabble, as Gabriel calls it), then they could open up a store and sail (yes,
sail, not sell) them for money.
See the boys have really taken to their compliment jar,
they've filled it with enough money to go and get their Bat-a-Rang and now they
are working to purchase their next prized possession, a "Spiderman shooter
toy" (their words not mine).
They've been working hard doing one "chore" in the morning and
one chore after school and their homework.
They've become experts at helping to load and unload the dishwasher and
helping sort and put a load of laundry in the wash. I'm very proud of them and now they've just
added the chore to their routine, where I don't even have to ask them. It has been great for mom! Through this though the boys have also
learned that it takes a really really really long time to earn $10.00 when you
only get a penny at a time. To
compensate for their extremely low hourly rate, they decided to get creative,
shall I say, entrepreneurial and come up with a business plan to supplement
their income.
As they colored quietly at the store, they came up with
various business practices and implemented rules between each other as to how they
would "share the profits".
They decided they would color some pictures that were perfect with great colors
and those would cost $6.00 (only after Gabriel negotiated with Michael to a
lower price. Michael originally wanted
to charge $62.00 for each nice picture but Gabriel told him that was too much).
And although they would "specialize" in nice pictures, they also
decided to have a few pictures that weren't so nice. They'd charge only a few penny's for those, and
kids could buy them so they could learn how to color nicer. To myself I thought, what a great idea,
something for everyone, the Target of handmade colored pictures. And they even discussed how to bring in more
business (besides having mom, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc having
to buy everything), they would go door to door, inviting everyone in our
neighborhood to come over to our house to buy pictures. They said they'd spread them all over the
house so people could see them. They
said, "Mom, you can make cookies so people will want to keep coming back
for more pictures."
I have to admit, I was impressed. Who would have thought a trip to the
department store would have prompted such a great business idea. Isn't there some saying about great businesses
being started in someone's garage or in their backroom? Well this idea was
started on the floor outside the Macy's changing room.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment