Sunday, June 9, 2013

D-Backs Dream...

Recently Jarrett entered the boys into a drawing for Subway's Kid's Take the Field giveaway. To our great surprise, we actually won. I should clarify, Gabriel won and we were the lucky beneficiaries of his prize. Here's the video of when we actually told the boys about wining the contest...

Today was the day, Gabriel's dream came true. Our family and Nana and Papa were able to attend the game. As we checked into the administrative offices, Gabriel was given the VIP treatment, where he learned all that he won. He was given his t-shirt which he excitedly told me, "MOM, this is FREE!" and then we was given the name of the player he was matched with for warm ups. He was then escorted off to get to go down to the field, while the rest of us entered through the general entrance to our great seats.
No D-Backs game is complete without a picture with a Randy Johnson bobble head.
Throughout this entire event, Jarrett was also in his element. He continued to say, "Isn't this the coolest thing? This is so great!" and so on. I could see the kid in Jarrett's eyes wanting more than anything to join Gabriel on the field and absorb every moment.


With specific instructions of what would happen at each minute, we first found our seats, and then noticed Gabriel on the field, at 12:52 we watched the jumbo screen to see Gabriel being introduced as playing 3rd base. Being too cool for school (or maybe just shy), he of course didn't smile. But we didn't mind, we cheered our hearts out for him anyway.
Doesn't he look too cool for school? :-)
Minutes later it was time for Gabriel to get to charge the field with the D-Backs actual third basemen, Martin Prado. Gabriel had no idea I was just 5 yards behind him, but I could see the anticipation and excitement he had as he waited for his "buddy" to come up from the dugout.
He swayed back and forth and watched with every moment for action from down below. And then the minute happened and off he went trailing behind Prado. They met on the top of the pitcher’s mound where he and Gabriel exchanged conversation, Gabriel got his baseball signed by him and they stood together during the singing of the national anthem


Gabriel got a signed baseball. 


 I watched as Gabriel placed his hat on his heart (just like the pros), how Gabriel watched on the TV, (just like the pros) and then when he thought they weren't looking, he glanced up at each of the pros next to him, and almost if I could hear, I could tell his mind was saying, "Wow, this is actually happening!"

After the singing, it was time for the game to begin and time for the Subway Kids to leave the field and join their families in the stand. We watched Gabriel get to run down into the dugout and poof his few minutes of glory on the field had ended.

However, upon his return to our seats, we knew immediately the magic that was those special moments will live on forever. He charged through the other people in our row until he finally got to us. Expecting to hear about how cool of a moment it was, about some amazing comment the player said to him, instead Gabriel announced, "GUESS WHAT? I GOT GUM!" Yep, that was it. The kid was ecstatic about gum. He continued, "They gave us a lot of gum. Look I got a whole bunch of pieces. I think I got 5 7 or 8, but I'm eating two right now."

Now just as excited about the whole gum giving situation, Michael was fully attentive, asking for a piece. Moments later I asked him what the best part about it he said, "Mom, getting the gum was the best." We all laughed and as we talked about and reminded him of what just happened he changed his mind and said all of it was cool.

The game was so much fun for all of us. The seats were great, the company wonderful and Nana and Papa were gracious in that they took Michael and Isabelle up to the play area. We told Michael that he won the ability to get to go play in the D-Back kid’s area. He thought it was just as cool as Gabriel's experience. And a blast he had. He ran the bases I understand and he stood in line a long time waiting for a personalized batting lesson. And just as he go to the front of the line, of course nature had to call, so off he and Papa ran to the bathroom, only to return to find the lesson time over. That darn nature calling. Michael didn't mind too much, as Nana and Papa told him they'd treat him to ice cream and even though he'd already eaten a ton of snacks, there's always room for ice cream right?
 

 
And Isabelle, she had fun too. When she wasn't eating ice cream, screaming for something she wanted and couldn't have,walking the concourse, or playing with Michael and the other kids in the D-Back's kid’s area; she was wearing the bucket of popcorn the people in front of us ate. Seriously, it entertained her for at least 10 minutes. And I didn't mind one bit giving her a bath tonight and combing popcorn kernels out of her hair, 10 minutes of peace with a toddler who NEVER stops, is glorious.
 

All in all today was a wonderful day. It will be something we will always remember and cherish as we were able to celebrate it together.

Until next time,
Angie

PS:  And in case anyone is wondering where Super Man was today.  We can tell you, he was at the D-Backs game too.  I tell you, what a D-Back's Dream Come True Day.  The boy's couldn't have dreamed of a better day... baseball, gum and Superman. All in a perfect day!  Now off to bed!
 

1 comment: