Monday, August 5, 2013

1st day of school...

Today was a very adventurous day in our house as the boys went back to school. And not only in a new grade but also a new school.

Over the course of the spring and summer Jarrett and I had been talking about having the boys transition to our home school.  After talking with the principal and hearing about the new exciting programs they have going on, and getting the boys' opinion, we knew our mind was made up.

So this morning, the boys got ready, Gabriel in 7 minutes, Michael in 47 minutes and finally we left for school.  Not without stopping for a few minutes to take the obligatory first day pictures...

On Sunday I had a worksheet that asked the boys a series of questions before school started.  The worksheet asked them their favorite food, movie, snacks and what was their favorite thing they did all summer.  It also asked what they wanted to be when they grow up.
Gabriel with his worksheet... He still wants to be a major league baseball player.  His favorite thing this summer was going to Valley Fair when we were in Iowa and he is excited to learn Math this year.

Michael wants to be a Dallas Cowboy.  His favorite song is "Hark the Herald" and his favorite thing about the summer was going to Iowa.

This is after mom begging the kids to say "CHEESE" for 2 minutes.

And then Isabelle decided she needed a picture for her first day of school (for the week).
After arriving at school, the principal greeted the boys by their first name and with warm hugs.  What a nice way to start the day.  We then found our way to the location on the playground where they boys line up.  The teachers were waiting with smiles and welcoming signs.  Here's Michael after getting his hug and nice welcome from his teacher, Ms. T.
 
And Gabriel with his teacher, Mrs. P. 


And before leaving the teacher asked us if we'd like a family picture.  Even though Belle had already been dropped off and school, it was really nice of her to offer and fun to have a shot to remember the moment.


And as the bell rang, Dad and I left and the boys were off.

This afternoon I picked up the boys and couldn't wait to hear the highlights of the day... instead I was greeted by a begging Michael who asked me to go home and let them stay longer at the after school program. "Mom, please go home, we want to stay here as long as we can."  When I told him he'd get to go back tomorrow he said, I know but I want to stay until the very end of the day everyday okay.  Now please go home and come back later."  Guess it was pretty clear they like their new school.

Other highlights of the first day was that both boys are ecstatic to share they have new girl friends.  Michael couldn't stop talking about Mackenzie and Gabriel's new girl is Emma.  As I cleaned the bathroom tonight, Michael was at the sink next to me, he said, "Mom remember this morning when I got to put on some of dad's cologne?"  "Yes," I responded.  "Well guess what mom, I asked Mackenzie to smell my neck and she said it smelled yummy."  Wow, I said.  "And then mom, I had her smell my arm pits."  "She said, what is that smell? and I said, I don't know."  He continued, "Mom, I couldn't remember what that stuff was that you and dad use."  While I tried to remain straight faced, I was busting a gut on the inside. 

We are so happy to see and hear that the boys love their new school.  It was a big decision to change schools, but we are happy to see we've made the right choice.  Here's hoping Michael doesn't come home tomorrow telling me he had another girl smell his armpits.  They always seem to surprise me!

Until next time,
angie

No comments:

Post a Comment