Friday, August 9, 2013

We've come a long way baby..

Ten years ago at this very hour, I was getting ready to walk down the aisle and marry my best friend.  It was a day I had dreamed about and looked forward to for many many years.  The day was of course planned down to the minute (which my family wouldn't have expected anything less) but also full of special aspects important to Jarrett and I, lots of love and of course fun.  We woke up early and the girls went to the salon to get the beauty pampering started.  With mimosas, laughs and girly chit chat, we progressed to the church and started with pictures.  Everyone looked so nice and then the time came for Jarrett and I to see each other.  The final minutes we shared before the service began, confirmed for us more than ever, that we were put on this earth to be each others soul mates.  As the ceremony began, I remember the beautiful music, the packed church and the man of my dreams waiting for me at the end of the satin lined aisle.  The service meaningful and what I remember most from what the pastor shared, is that if we always remember to put each other and their needs first, our marriage will always be strong. As the church bells rang, and we were first announced as the new Mr. and Mrs. I couldn't remember a time I was more happy.  Following the service, we went to my grandparents home for pictures around their beautiful lake and onto the reception hall, where the real party started.  We enjoyed the company of so many wonderful friends and family and partied until the very end of the night.  As we walked out with the other late-stayers, Jarrett and I rode home on our shuttle beaming from ear to ear.  It was everything and more we hoped our wedding day would be.  

Fast forward until today, 10 years later, at this very hour, I just finished putting the 4th load of laundry away, made lunch, cleaned up dishes, gave the ill baby more medicine, shredded junk mail and walked into the laundry room to attempt to clean the washing machine.  Looking at the insides of a diaper caked on every aspect of the washer bin and the floor sprinkled with that liquid-absorbing miracle gu, I decided it can wait and I'd much rather come here. To say today is a bit different than 10 years ago would be a huge understatement.  I'm dressed in my old paint shorts, stained t-shirt with my hair slicked back in a pony tail, barely awake and probably already smell of BO (even though I did shower today). 

It could be the fact that last night was a very short night, about 3 hours of sleep kind-of-night.  When a fever-sicken Isabelle woke up just as I was crawling into bed, I had a feeling and it wasn't a good one.  It seems to always happen when Dad's out of town, (what a great way to spend an anniversary right) or maybe its just that misery loves company, and being the only adult around when all hells breaking loose, isn't that much fun. 

 I should have known that last night's lack of sleep was sure to have consequences for me today.  Hence me accidentally washing Isabelle's diaper along with her bed sheets and just like that country song, "Mr. Mom"  , pulling her sheets out to put in the dryer, I learned Pampers don't do well in a Maytag washer either.  Wearing my "General hat", this morning was spent racing around giving orders to get ready for school, tie your shoes, brush your teeth, don't forget your homework folder, jump in the car, you're going to be late for school.  After getting everyone piled in and car-seat fastened, I started the car to hear all bells and whistles shouting at me... not one, not two, not even three alarms but four.  All four tires on the car are low, too low to drive.  In my mind, I tell myself to save that problem for dad and give the next commanding order to get into the other car.  Ten minutes later, everyone re-fastened in and after a quick emergency back to the garage to retrieve the forgotten backpack in the other car, we were off to school.  I decided to stop over at my parents house to check on things and upon pulling in their driveway, I see the little rain we've gotten has caused the weeds to sprout up and, well, grow like weeds.  Deciding I should probably just take the time to pull them, I left the car running (because it was already over 90 at 7:15 am), opened Isabelle's car door, as she was still fastened in but could watch me pull weeds.  She didn't find it amusing.  So while she screamed to get out, Jack barked (oh I decided he might like a ride so I took him along too) because Isabelle was screaming, I pulled weeds and pretended all the neighbors going to work weren't staring at me.  Just as I was getting ready to wrap things up and go back to running other errands, I went into the house to check on things.  Opening the door, I knew there was a problem.  The thermostat read 98.  As things happen yearly it seems in AZ, the air conditioner was broke.  I knew then my great plans to get the house work done, laundry complete, house dusted and floors washed were out the window.  Four hours later, the air working again, I left to go home.  Meanwhile Isabelle's fever had spiked again and me not being prepared, left her medicine at home.  Sitting in a house that is 98 with a little one whose fever is 103, not the most ideal.  Hence my disclaimer about probably smelling like BO.

Finally leaving my parents house, on my drive home trying to figure out what to make for lunch, it dawned on me.  Today's our anniversary.  Ten years today.  Knowing Jarrett was busy in a deposition, I got home, texted him a warm anniversary message along with a quick summary of a discussion I got to have this morning between giving orders.  Michael and Gabriel are asking questions.  You know, one of those "boy" questions better left for a dad to answer.  I said,
Happy Anniversary Dad,  Hope your day is great.  BTW...I think you should have a talk with the boys about what happens as they get older.  They are starting to ask me questions about why certain things stand up.  Enjoy your day!  Love ya! 
Isn't that romantic?  Okay I'm joking, but if nothing else, I know it would make Jarrett smile, and these days, we enjoy the simple things.
 
Thinking about our anniversary today and the fact that we won't  get to spend it together does make me a bit sad.  However as I think back to everything we've shared in the past 10 years, I realize there is so much to be thankful for.  And as I look at our crazy, chaotic and hectic life, it is all I've ever wanted and more.  So it isn't the most glorious job and isn't always fun.  To be honest, sometimes, some days it isn't any fun at all.  But that's all part of it.  The short nights, the messy house, the always arriving 5 minutes late to everything, the time outs, the frustration and even the feeling of being overwhelmed.  Doesn't it sound glorious?  When at the end of the day, I collapse into the milk stained chair, pull out the toy that was stuffed down in the side of the arm, stare up at the ceiling fan that's been begging to be dusted for months, and look at the TV with a small tiny hand print right in the middle of the screen, I'm thankful.
 
I'm thankful that I have the best partner to share this crazy life of ours with.  He gets me in ways no one else does.  He knows without me even having to say a word, that mom's reached her limit and quietly gathers the kids, offering to take them for a few minutes so I can go do something else and he does exactly what the pastor told us to do 10 years ago today.  He thinks of and puts me first.  Letting me work part-time was a huge sacrifice for our family and I know it added a significant amount of stress onto his shoulders.  From the moment I expressed concern that I couldn't keep going the way things were when we were both working full time, he immediately said let's find you something else and we'll find a way to make it work.   
 
I realize the past ten years have had their ups and downs and in that time we've grown, we've learned a lot and we've had a lot of fun along the way.  I also think we've learned how to love better, what to just let go of and how to make this team work.  As we think about what the next 10 years hold, I'm sure there will some of the same ups and downs, but I can't think of anyone else I'd rather spend them with.  We've come a long way baby and we've got a long way yet to go.
 
Until next time, I'm off to scrub yogurt off the ceiling, the wall and the blinds (someone decided to shake their yogurt up and down, while mom had her back turned).  Oh and then I'll tackle the diaper-strewn washing machine.
 
Happy anniversary Dad! I love you!
angie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment