Sometimes I wonder with all the other celebrating that happens at school for this holiday, if I even need to do anything else. The Valentines celebration started on Monday of this week for the boys when they came home begging me to buy them a Sweethearts Lollipop. While I debated and pondered the question of if they really needed a lollipop as big as their face for them to know how much I love them; my mind scrambled to find a reason to justify to them they really didn't need it and I shouldn't have to feel guilty for not buying into the hype. I decided in the end NOT to buy into the hype and promised them that I'd have something just as fun for them to have at home. They, though at first disappointed, seemed excited about a mystery surprise that would be waiting for them today when they got off of school.
And then there was last night. I hope other moms can relate. At 9:15 p.m. I sat in the recliner, completely exhausted from the crazy day that it was. My mind slowed enough for me to pinpoint the to do item I knew I had been forgetting but couldn't identify what it was. "Oh that's right" I said to Jarrett sitting at the kitchen table recording his hours for the day. "What?" he said. I continued, "Crap, I forgot I have to go get items for Michael's valentines day party tomorrow at school." Already having changed into my PJ's, I decided no one would really care what I looked like anyway, so off I went to the store in search of bowls, grapes and strawberry cream cheese. Thinking it could be a quick trip, I realized I was wrong as I pulled into the store lot only to find almost every space full. Who in the world goes to the grocery store at 9:30 p.m. on a Thursday night? Walking into the store I immediately realized, I had asked myself the wrong question. "Who goes to the grocery store at 9:30 p.m. on Valentines Day eve?" The answer for all those wondering....almost every husband, boyfriend, and dad within the nearest 10 miles. I say almost everyone because my husband was at home; he might have been the only one. I zoomed around the store, trying to get in and out as quickly as possible, remember I was in my pjs. Grapes... check, strawberry cream cheese... check, plastic bowls... not Staring at the paper plates, plastic silverware and Styrofoam bowls, or I guess I should say the shelves that normally house them, it took me a moment to remember I wasn't in Atlanta where the Polar Vortex had hit, but still in sunny Arizona. Why in the world were all the disposable plates, bowls and the like gone? Thinking they must have been moving merchandise in the store around and I just had to find the new location, I asked the first store person I found. "Excuse me, could you please tell me where I can find the plastic bowls, you know the kind like paper plates?" The lady smiled and went on to tell me they had had a run on those type of items and didn't have any left. Who knew. There were plenty of roses in the store, but paper bowls, nope, nada.
After stopping at the second grocery store on the way home to buy bowls, I arrived at home, washed the grapes, got them all ready for today and crawled into bed. Then came this morning. As usual, in the mornings at our house, Isabelle walks around whining to have The Wiggles put on, Gabriel and Michael argue, tattle and mess around until we have to give firm instructions to stay in different rooms of each other. After showering and throwing some clothes on, I glanced at the clock to see it was almost time to go. I made the normal announcement, "Brush your teeth, get your jacket and shoes on. We have to leave in 15 minutes." That's when Gabriel came charging into the bedroom to ask me where his class valentines were and where the valentines card box was. "Valentines WHAT" I asked Gabriel. Mom, didn't you get me valentines for my class and where is my valentines day box for my class? He might as well have asked me what the newest species to be discovered in the world has been, because I had no idea he needed valentines and a box. Not having the most pleasant response, I said, "Gabriel I don't know what you are talking about? I never got a note or an email about your class having a Valentines Day event. Why are you just telling me about this now? Other than the letter asking me to donate plates, which I did earlier this week, I don't have any idea about a valentines box or cards." While I won't go into the specifics, it was clear someone had both dropped the ball. We compromised. Thankfully I had bought extra treats (for my own personal candy stash, some may say) and had enough for him to take to school. Sadly they were not personalized, (seriously I didn't even have a list of names) and there would be NO cute, creatively decorated valentines day box. Instead I sent a note to his teacher explaining that 15 minutes ago was the first I heard about the box and apologized that Gabriel wouldn't have one.
After dropping the kids at school, going to work and being out and about, it is clear, many people are getting nice gifts this Valentines day. There are flower delivery people it seems at every stop light and the red and pink balloons are floating in the sky. Love it in the air. And while my family might not be getting the cutely decorated valentines with long personal message of love, I hope they still appreciate the "on-sale .40 cent bags their Bubbaliscious bubble-tape gum (for the boys) and M&M's (for Belle) are wrapped in.
| And even Dad gets a gift this year. I'll let you guess what bag is his? |
Even though my token of love may be small and simple, I hope they know my love for them is the exact opposite.
Happy Valentines Day!
Until next time,
angie
No comments:
Post a Comment