Today is my grandpa's birthday and this is his first birthday celebrating in Heaven. I woke up this morning and I thought how happy he must be getting to spend his birthday with my grandma. That doesn't mean we don't miss him and wish he was here.
There are so many times in the day when I reach for my phone to call him or I see something and think, I'll have to tell grandpa that. And then it hits me. I can't call him anymore. I cherish my mailbox that is filled up with his messages I saved, so many so that my voice message is full and yet I can't bring myself to delete any of them.
His voice, hearing it, makes me feel his love, makes me know how lucky I was to have him, and reminds me that nothing in this life is permanent. Cherish these moments, always look for the blessings and give thanks. That was the way my grandpa lived and one of the greatest lessons he taught me.
Yep we sure had a lot of great times in our 38 years together. We talked about so many life events, rehashed how if we were in charge we'd do things differently, and we talked a lot about living with a broken heart- he after my grandma passed and me after Noah. I think our hearts were connected in many ways.
And while I miss him each and every day, I smile knowing he is now is a better place. I am sure he's so happy being reunited with my grandma. And now I smile thinking Noah gets to know just how great his great-grandpa is too.
Miss you always. Happy first birthday in Heaven. Sending my love to you always,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment