Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Art of Sharing

Gabriel and Michael seem to pretty much have down the act of sharing. It is pretty rare when I have to break up an argument because one of them has something the other one wants and they are unable to resolve the discussion between themselves. Today seems to be a day when we are sharing many things.

This morning started off with the boys wanting to share each other's toothbrush. The request was made to share mommy's toothbrush first but I said that is one of the things Mommy doesn't have to share with anyone. So, after that request was denied, they moved on to requesting to use Michael's Cookie Monster toothbrush. I decided it wasn't worth the lengthy explanation of why we don't share each other's toothbrushes, I'll save that discussion for tomorrow.

Since the boys have moved in, I've tried to select their daily outfits for them and have them laying on their bed as they finish breakfast and after brushing their teeth. Today, I decided it might be a good idea to allow Gabriel some autonomy in picking his own outfit. As I watched him pick out his outfit, I decided again, to just let him pick what he wanted and to keep my comments to myself. Here is a little description of what Gabriel looks like today...

The oldest and most faded Guess jean shorts that must have been a hand-me-down or a goodwill pick up from before he came to us. The elastic on the jean shorts is shot, so they seem to hang down just enough to show a glimpse of his sporting "tunnies" aka underwear. For a tastefully classic look he decided to select Michael's red Lighting McQueen Cars shirt that is a size 2T and obviously 2 sizes too small. Think of an 80's mid-drift t-shirt. And then to seal the classic look he was going for, he selected one sock that is a mid-calf length and the other that is a footie and doesn't show above his shoes. To top it off he decided he didn't need/want to comb his hair and the slept-on spiked look in the very back was good enough for today. Very cute!

In the spirit of sharing, I fear Michael and Gabriel may have also decided to share their stuff with Mommy. Several people have told me that little people are germ magnetics. I'm not sure if it just being a little worn down or the fact that I just picked up something, but Mommy spent last night and this morning feeling really under the weather. Since Mommy was up all night admiring the cracks and crevices of her bathroom wall, ceiling and floor, Daddy volunteered to share some of the morning responsibilities with Mom, actually he took on all of them. Thanks Daddy! What was so cute is that the boys normally come straight to my side of the bed in the morning to wake me up and tell me they have to go potty, but this morning Daddy took them and explained that they needed to be quiet because Mommy isn't feeling very good. Laying there feeling nauseous, I listened as they apologized to their Daddy for Mommy being sick. "I'm sorry Daddy that Mommy is sick," said Gabriel and then Michael chimed in, "Mommy sick Daddy right? I sorry". Daddy explained that is wasn't their fault but for some reason they seemed to think it was, even though they've been healthy since day one. When I finally got myself out of bed and slowly moved to the couch to rest my eyes, both boys came up to me at different times and gently kissed my cheek. Then they said, "Mommy I so sorry you sick" How precious is that?

I guess we'll have to see how much sharing mommy does in the next few days. I've tried to be good at sharing my things with those I love, but I sure hope I don't share this.

Until next time,
Angie

2 comments:

  1. Adorable story about Gabriel's outfit- that is pretty much what Tino looks like when Dave takes care of the kids- he lets him dress himself. I try to enforce some standards- not always successfully. Kids are funny!

    Sorry you aren't feeling well- hopefully it is a 24 hour bug that will pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! I enjoy reading your blogs, sounds like you switched to a very busy household! We are so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet your little guys!

    Hope you are feeling better. Take care Donna Throndson

    ReplyDelete