First of all we would like to thank everyone who has joined us in celebrating this news with us. Thank you for all of the phone calls, the emails and the posts on this blog! We will respond individually to each of you, please just give us a few days to figure out which way is forward.
Speaking of forward, things are moving foward very quickly. We were able to go and visit the boys, our sons this morning and what a day it has been! We were told yesterday we had to sleep on the information we were given and we could call anytime after 8:30 a.m. to share our final decision. I called our contact at 8:23 a.m. (we couldn't wait any longer) and when she answered she laughed and said... "I thought about just answering the phone by saying Hi Angie..." I guess she could tell yesterday what our answer to accepting the boys was going to be. After setting a time to meet them at 10 a.m. we raced off to Target (which we understand from our other adoption friends Dave and Tara that this store will become like a second home)to purchase car seats. That was an experience in itself, for a later post but I'll just skip to the exciting part.
We arrived a few minutes early to the foster family's home and as we walked to the front door the case worker greeted us outside. She said, "Rememeber yesterday when we said we'd introduce you to the boys as a friend of mine, well nevermind. The boys know what is going on and are very excited to meet you." She said we'll just let the boys take the lead and we'll follow.
As Jarrett and I walked in I think we'd both admit we were nervous, realizing how big of an event this is for us, but as soon as we walked through the door those nerves disappeared. Gabriel and Michael caming running to the door, Gabirel threw his arms around my legs and then said, "Are you guys going to be my new Mommy and Daddy?" When we answered yes we are, both boys started jumping up and down and screaming YEA YEA YEA YEA! How's that for a warm greeting?
As if that isn't icing on the cake already, the visit continued to go just as it started. They were proud to show us around the house and the back yard. A few minutes into the visit Gabriel said, "I want to go to your house" When we answered okay, you can come to our house in a couple of days, he responded so I want to go TODAY! Michael chimmed in and said, "Yes Today!" The case worker than said, okay maybe not today but how about tomorrow? Yes, that is right, I did say it correctly... TOMORROW!
The case worker then said if you want you can take them out for lunch, just you guys. We understood that this type of event usually happened on the second or even third visit, not within the first 20 minutes of meeting them. But, in the spirit of "going with the flow" we went out for our first family lunch to my favorite restaurant... McDonald's! (Okay, maybe not my favorite actually probably the opposite, but if they like it, it will become a favorite of mine too). The both both ate very well and were very well behaved with please and thank yous!
As we were driving back to the foster parents home Michael said something that we didn't quite catch, (we're learning a crash course in 3-year old talk) and then Gabriel helped translate it for us. He said, Michael doesn't want to go back to Sally (foster mom's name) house, he wants to go to our new house with you. Then Gabirel said, I want to go to. And at that moment our hearts melted for which much have been the 100th time in an hour and a half. We told them that we would come back and get them tomorrow and they can come and stay with us.
So, in a matter of 24 or less hours we will be bringing home our sons. What a great thing to be able to say. We have nothing and I mean nothing ready, the house is a mess and I feel like I'm completely unorganized (which for those of you who know me very well, you can probably understand how overwhelmed I'm feeling), however I'd/We'd take this feeling any day of the week if it means we can open our hearts and home to these boys.
Tonight we'll leave everything as it is an go enjoy our last night as a couple. We are going to a Diamondbacks game and just as Jarrett's mom said, "The boys won't care that everything isn't in its place or that their beds haven't arrived, they'll only care that you guys are there to love them." You know I think she is right... so off we go to enjoy our last night as a couple.
As one chapter in our lives end another one begins. Tomorrow is a new day, a day we've dreamed about and can't wait to begin. Please wish us luck and if you think of it, please say a prayer... we're going to need it. I think by now there should be some book out there that has perfected the role of parenthood... why can't I find it. I guess we'll have to rely upon you all for help.
And to all of the Mother's out there, including our own... we hope you have a very blessed Mother's Day... thanks for all you've done! In the spirit of Mother's day I just have to share one more story... while Gabriel and Michael were showing us the house, one of the foster parents friends came into the house. As we were walking to the backyard Gabriel looked up at her and said, "Hi, this is my mom." and pointed to me. I said hi and continued onto give him attention, meanwhile I was repeating what had just happened over and over in my mind. I think I can get use to this idea of being a mom.
Love,
Angie and Jarrett
WOW!!!! That was really fast! It sounds like love at first sight for all of you. How wonderful. I hope you will get some time off work to spend with the boys.
ReplyDeleteI too love the sound of the word "Mommy." It is the word I've longed to hear forever, and now I hear it daily! Enjoy these moments...
Wow! I am Tara's cousin, followed her blog to yours and just wanted to say congratulations and Happy Mother's Day!! What a wonderful world.
ReplyDeleteI heard about you from my dear friend Lara Klinkner. When she told me about you I just had to start following your blog. I want to wish you all the best. You are very special people and so inspiring. You are in our prayers as you start this beautiful journey. Sincerely, Ashley West
ReplyDeleteAngie! This is just phenomenal and I am so happy for you guys!
ReplyDelete