Its 9:15 p.m. and the house has been quiet for the past hour and 20 minutes Jarrett and I are racing around trying to catch up on things. We share highlights from the day, talk about all that we have to do tomorrow and try to strategize how we can knock off some of our ever growing list of To Do's. It is strange though, all of our conversations seem to drift back to two little boys.
I've completely fallen in love with them, and to be honest we both have. I love the sound of their feet racing across the floor, or their high pitched laughs as we push them around the house in their pretend speed boats (aka Mom's clothes baskets) or even more, the yell from the other room, "Mommy I need help. or Mom can you tie my shoes?" I don't know how many times a day I hear the words Mom but I can tell you, it is so many that I'm starting to hear them call me when I know they are fast asleep. It is like when you hear a very catchy song on the radio or TV and you just can't get it out of you mind, that is what I have going on with the whole Mom/Mommy thing.
Although I spend every minute of their day with them, I have to admit I miss them at night when they are asleep. We sleep with our door wide open and I feel I always have one ear listening in case one of them needs something. Today, during nap time I was checking my email on the computer in the front of the house (their room is in the back side) when all of a sudden I heard a little noise. As I went to investigate I walked in to see that both of them were sleeping peacefully, so I just watched for a moment taking in the beauty of two wonderful little boys resting. It really is one of the simply joys of life. As I watched, all of a sudden I noticed Gabriel had the hick-ups. I guess I didn't know you can have the hick-ups and sleep right through them. I tried not to laugh out-loud but boy was it cute!
I would have to say that we are transitioning into our family roles very well. Although I know I have a ton more to learn, I have to stay I'm starting to feel like we are getting the hang of it. We have a pretty good routine down and the boys are definitely feeling at home. Although we tell the boys everyday we love them and are so happy they came to be with us, I think they still worry that this may not be their forever home. I can't imagine how confusing, scary and overwhelming it is to not know where you will live for the near future. Since Gabriel and Michael have come to live with us Gabriel has asked me everyday, "Mom, can I stay with you forever forever?" and at which I reply, "Yes Gabriel, we want you and Michael to stay with us forever forever forever!" I have a feeling this question may be asked many more days in the future and I cannot blame them for wanting the constant reassurance. For the past 3 and 4 years of their lives, nothing has been constant, so we will wholeheartedly do everything in my power to give them the stability, reassurance and security they are longing for. It just breaks my heart that a 3 and 4 year old has has to stress about this basic necessity.
Everyday I'm overwhelmed with how blessed we are. I suppose all parents feel this way about their children. I remember people saying how a mother's love for her child is one of the strongest bonds, and I now feel like I know what they mean. It sounds strange I know, I've only known my little angels for less than a week, but I can tell you, I'd go to the ends of the earth for two little boys named Gabriel and Michael.
Thank you God for bringing us together!
Gabriel and Michael's mom
Your joy in the simple things is a reminder to me to appreciate the good and true in life--things like my loving parents who provided a consistent place to call home--things I took for granted.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear things are transitioning well!
You two are well on your way to being awesome parents! Will be looking for those pics as soon as you are clear to post
ReplyDeleteMorris and Beth
What a beautiful post! I am so happy that your dream has come true. The boys are simply adorable... thanks for the e-mail.
ReplyDelete