Saturday, May 29, 2010

A birthday wish come true!

Yesterday I was 29 and today I'm 30. I say honestly that I haven't been that excited to turn 30, but now that it is here and I know what my life as a 30-year-old is like, I would have welcomed it many years ago.

As you know or can imagine, my birthday presents came early this year. They arrived on May 8 when we brought home our little guys. I woke up this morning to the serenading songs of three boys singing me a happy birthday tune. The little ones then proceeded to curl up in bed next to me (one on each side) and give me a big birthday hug and kiss. Daddy, got to take Jack out to go potty while Gabriel, Michael and I snuggled.

As far as a 30th birthdays go, I have to say this one could probably go down on record for being the most low-key, non-eventful day, however to me it was perfect. Jarrett had to go biking this morning as he prepares for his big 100+ mile adventure next weekend in Lake Tahoe so the boys and I spent the morning cleaning house. Yes, you read that correctly, we cleaned house. The boys thought we were actually fixing the house so they pretended to be like Handy Manny (this show on Disney where a handyman named Manny talks to his tools and fixes things for others). The boys were a great help dusting, vacuuming and sweeping the floors. I promise I didn't make them work too hard, but hey, if they are excited about helping and it seems fun to them to suck up dust bunnies, I'm not going to hinder that excitement.

After a few hours of "fixing the house" we played school where Gabriel learned how to write and recognize the letters X and Y and Michael practiced his colors. Being a new mom, I'm not exactly sure where the boys should be academically as far as knowing certain things but I can share that I do think it is a pretty new activity for them to actually have someone sit down with them and teach them certain things. They both seem to like it and they say, "Mom, you are the teacher right?"

After lunch Daddy graciously took the boys on an adventure to the car wash or what they like to call the cave. This gave me about 45 minutes to try and write some thank yous that I've been trying to get out for days. It has been stressing me that my to do list has been growing faster than I can cross items off, so this break was welcome and helped me to feel a little bit better about getting my organized life back.

This afternoon Jarrett had said we could do something just us 4 (or 5 counting Jack) as a family and when it came down to it, we did. We actually just stayed home and enjoyed what our new normal life is. We colored, enjoyed lunch and spent time talking. And tonight we had dinner, read some books to the boys and let them watch a few minutes of The Lion King before putting them to sleep.

And now, for the first time in 3 plus weeks, Jarrett and I are going to have a Date Night in our living room. This will be the first time since the boys arrived that we are going to sit down, drink a glass of wine and watch a movie, (and not a kids movie) together.

As I said before, and now you can probably agree, this 30th birthday could probably go down as one of the most low-key birthdays ever, however to me it was just perfect!

When I was helping Gabriel and Michael brush their teeth tonight I said, Boys, do you know what Mommy wished for for her birthday present?" Michael screamed "Spiderman" and Gabriel just looked at me with his beautiful blue-green eyes. I said, Mommy wished for you guys and then they grinned from ear to ear. I don't know if they fully understand yet how much this birthday means to me, but it will be a story I will share with them many more times in the coming days, months, and years ahead.

Thank you God for bringing me my biggest and best birthday wish!

Angie

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Give me a call when you guys are ready to do an 'out-of-the-house' date night! I'd be happy to babysit (and could provide some references if needed!). Count it as a belated birthday gift!

    Your 30th day sounds wonderful--you didn't even have to blow out the candles to get your birthday wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing your birthday wishes from the last few years have all been fulfilled in a few short weeks! Sounds like a wonderful day. Your boys are so cute- wish mine would help me clean the house! And how hilarious that Michael thought you wished for Spiderman!

    Happy Birthday Angie!

    ReplyDelete