Monday, May 10, 2010

A Day of Firsts...

Today was a day of many first's, actually it has been a weekend of many firsts. There are firsts that I have dreamed of doing for many years, and when they happened this past weekend, they were even more enjoyable than what I had pictured in my mind.

There has been so much that has happened I'm not even sure where to start. As the boys say things or something happens that melts my heart all over again, I think to myself, I have to blog about that... then I'm called by one of the boys... "Mom, can I please have some milk?, "Mom, can I make you a cheeseburger? (we have a little play McDonald's kitchen they LOVE to play with and if it keeps me out of the real one for a while, I'll eat pretend plastic cheeseburgers all day)... oops sorry where was I?... oh and another favorite calling of the day... "Mom, I have to go potty! It is all wonderful, even the potty part.

Some of our first together include our first family meal. Let me tell you the boys are good eaters. Anything I put in front of them they eat, I even took a risk tonight and made baked cod thinking okay maybe this will be something they don't like. Nope. Michael, our 3 year old said, "Mommy I like more ish please" I am not complaining, I'm so thankful they are healthy and so happy. I don't care if our grocery bill will double. I just can't imagine how much they will eat when they are teenage-growing boys. :-)

Another first that we did together as a family was going to church. The boys have never been to church and being that we picked them up on Saturday afternoon, I think Jarrett and I were both a little nervous to take them to such a quiet and still place on Sunday morning. However, we shared with them before we went that Church is a place where we sit quietly and listen and sing songs when it is time. I brought back up supplies in case in my lovely ASU bag, (I haven't had time to get a cute Diaper (or Diaperless) bag. The boys don't care, as long as it has two books, a motorcycle and some Cheeriors in a baggie, they were set. Of course we got there 2 minutes before the service started so we had to sit in the middle of a row half way up the front (which made me more nervous). I remember praying to God as we walked in, please let this go well. Again, I should have just put my trust in the big man upstairs becuase I could not have asked for two more well-behaved little boys. Gabirel sang along when we sang songs and Michael looked around in amazement. They were all smilies. Now they keep asking me, "Mommy we go to church today?"

The list of firsts keeps going on and on for Jarrett and I, but today, when Michael did something, I realized that these last few days are not about how quickly Daddy and Mommy can adjust to their roles, but also how wonderful these two little boys are at adjusting to a loving family. Kids are truly amazing and today I witnessed that first hand. Jarrett and I made it a point on Thursday when we were able to get a copy of our first picture of the boys, to race right out and get duplicates made. I immediately put them into frames and scattered them around the house so that when the boys arrived, they knew that it just wasn't mommy and daddy's house they were walking into but it was OUR house. Gabirel noticed right away on Saturday but it wasn't until today when Michael saw the first picture of him and Gabriel in a frame. As I watched Michael hold the picture I could see his eyes light up and how much he cherished it. He gathered all of the frames around the house with their pictures in them and he held them tightly all afternoon. It was then that I realized that these boys have probably never had a home that they could have called their own, and within that home objects and pictures that show how much they are loved and cherished. I was finally able to get Michael to put down the pictures when it was time to have dinner and I have to say they are completely covered with little boy fingerprints. My inital reaction was to wipe it clean with some glass cleaner and then I thought no... those fingerprints are right where they belong. So when you come to our house next time, I'll proudly show you our framed pictures of our two little angels, in fact, I'll even let you see their beautiful fingerprints.

Until next time...
Angie

PS: I know many of you have asked for pictures and I am not trying to be the worst mom in the world, but I ask for your patience. We've been told we are not able to post pictures of the two little ones online until the process is completely underway. With the openness of the internet we want to make sure we protect these little boys, but I promise once I get the all clear to post, watch out. I've already filled up one memory card and the boys have told me, "No more cheeses mommy, maybe later" :-) Oh how I love their little voices.

4 comments:

  1. No more cheeses! How adorable!!! That is interesting about the photos, I asked my caseworker right away and he said photos were okay as long as I used only first names. Different set of circumstances, I guess. I will have to be patient until I meet them in person! Great talking to you tonight! It sounds like things are going really, really well. Call if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE reading your blog, Angie! You and Jarrett are such amazing people! MIchael and Gabriel are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE reading the updates and I can't wait to see pictures of these little darlings. The real question is what does Jack think of his new brothers?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so, so exciting and LOVE the blog!!! Can't wait to hear more about the journey!

    ReplyDelete