Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Go Daddy Go!!!!!!


We went to the mountains and Daddy conquered them! This past weekend we ventured on our first family vacation to Lake Tahoe and what a wonderful trip it was. We had been telling the boys for the past several days that they were going to get to go on an airplane and then watch Daddy ride his bike up and down the mountains. There were so many highlights of the trip I'm afraid to say it but, here is your warning, this is going to be a long post.


Last week I spent a great deal of time trying to get organized to get ready to go. I have to admit that I was stressing a bit about taking Gabriel and Michael (aka: Two full-of-energy boys who don't sit still for one minute) on an airplane where they'd have to sit for almost 2 hours without screaming at the top of their lungs and restrain themselves from touching buttons. The obsession with touching buttons is a whole different post so back to the vacation. I checked the Lake Tahoe weather forecast daily and I think packed and repacked for them at least 4 times. I got Daddy's stuff together and helped the boys practice their cheer for the big day. Thanks to my friends Janelle and Tara for the tips on entertaining kids on an airplane, they really helped!


As Friday came, we were all excited about taking our first trip, that was until we realized how much crap, oops, I mean stuff, we had to take with us. As Jarrett and I looked at the pile of 4 suitcases, 1 toiletry bag, a bag of entrainment items for the boys, a camera/video camera bag, a suitcase of biking equipment, 2 car seats and final bag of misc items, waiting to be carried by two people, we both decided we needed to make some adjustments. So I guess that means we probably packed and unpacked, reshuffled things around 5 or 6 times. We ended up condensing down to 7 items. When it was just Jarrett and I traveling as a couple I had no idea how easy it was.


When we arrived at the airport and got checked in, it was wonderful to see the boy's eyes light up as they looked up close and center with a monster sized jet. Michael screamed, "Mommy it's a airpane!" (not airplane, airpane) Gabriel said, "Ooooh, wow, Dad are we going on that?" I had told the boys that if they were good, quiet and sat still on the airplane that the nice pilots or flight attendants would give them a pair of wings that means they can fly at anytime. My story seemed to work because from the moment we stepped foot in the terminal the boys asked me about every 10 minutes, "Mom, I was good, can I get my wings now." We boarded the plane and just like perfect angels the boys hopped into their seat, grabbed the safety instruction pamphlet and studied it like a priest studies a Bible. Jarrett and I were convinced no one has ever read those pamphlets from cover to cover. We were proven wrong. Note to Southwest Airlines: Your safety instruction manuals are a hit with 3 and 4 year-olds.


As we taxied down the runway and started to take off the boys, I told them to hold on and that we were going to go really fast. It was cute to see them put a death-grip on the armrests and lean forward as if that was going to help the plane take flight. When we got into the air both of them cheered, "Yea!" It was wonderfully exciting to be able to experience their first airplane ride with them, in fact it was so exciting that when we landed all of us forgot to ask the flight attendants for their wings. It was a mistake I made that I would be gently reminded of all weekend.


We flew into Reno and then boarded a bus (or what Michael and Gabriel consider a school bus) for an hour and a half bus ride to Lake Tahoe. For anyone who hasn't visited Lake Tahoe, let me just say, you should definitely add that destination to your bucket list. It is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. The drive from Reno to Lake Tahoe was breathtaking with views of the deep-blue lake, snow-capped mountains and trees that seemed 300 feet tall. Absolutely beautiful. The boys watched in awe for the first 45 minutes before deciding to take in the rest of the views with their eyes closed.


When we arrived at our hotel and checked into our room we realized it backed right up to a snow-capped mountain and the view of the lake. There's a picture below that just doesn't do it justice. For most of the day on Friday we spent relaxing and talking with Jarrett's teammates from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They truly are some of the most selfless and generous people I've ever met. One of Jarrett's teammate's, Jaime has completed this 100-mile bike ride for the past four years and has raised between$35,000 and $45,500 each time for cancer research. As a wife of a cancer survivor, I find it hard to put into words how much it means to us that people give so much to help others in this way.


On Saturday we were excited because Nana and Papa (Jarrett's parents) were joining us in Tahoe to watch Daddy on his big day. When Nana and Papa arrived we all went to the inspiration dinner where we learned that 1200 riders through the LLS Team in Training had raised more than 8 million dollars for cancer research. One rider shared the story of his son who was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 3 and has spent the last 2 years or 730 days straight taking harsh chemotherapy drugs and steroids in order to "beat the bad guys" as his son said. Thankfully he shared that his son was down to less than 2 weeks left of his treatment and was slowly getting better. With tears in my eyes I looked down at 3-year-old, little Michael who had curled up on my lap and fallen asleep. I remember thanking God for being so lucky and for giving me so many blessings.


Sunday morning (Race Day) came bright and early (actually 4:15 a.m.) as the race started at 6:30 and Daddy had to be out and ready by 6:00. The boys, what troupers they were, got up, and listened very well as we asked them to quickly change clothes and start cheering for the bikers and for daddy. Of all of the thousands of people there, I have to admit, I think the boys were one of the biggest hits for the riders. The boys loved to cheer and cheer loudly they did! I had told them to cheer for Daddy and together they came up with the cheer, "GO DADDY GO!" which they repeated over and over and over and over. With their high-pitched voices that seem to screech louder than almost everything else in that mountainous country, many riders joked with us that they could hear the boys for miles. In fact so many people said that, that it made me actually start to question exactly how far their voices echoed.


We were able to meet Daddy and almost everyone else on Team Arizona at the first stop which was about 30 miles into the 101 mile race. It was great to see Jarrett so strong and in his element. The boys were proud and yelled over and over, "Go Daddy Go" and once Daddy had gone by they start chanting, "Go Team!" or "Go Bikers."


As the race went on and we rode along with Nana and Papa in their car we commented over and over how challenging it must be to ride up and down these mountains. We were tired just driving the 100 miles. We were able to see Jarrett at 3 more stops including the lunch stop and he seemed to look so strong and not even winded. I remember seeing him just a short 2 1/2 years ago when he was going through chemotherapy and how he would be tired just from having to stay awake for more than 12 hours. It was a complete transformation to see him now so strong and healthy. Yet, another blessing I have been given.


Gabriel, Michael, Nana, Papa and I are so proud to share that we watched our Daddy, Husband and Son complete the 101.75 miles in just over 8 and a half hours. We couldn't be more proud of him!


As we returned home yesterday, we were sad to have to leave the mountains but we are so thankful for what great memories we got to take with us. Below are just final highlights and a few snap snots from our wonderful first family trip...


* Gabriel and Michael seemed to love pushing the buttons for the Eldigator (or elevator)

* Gabriel couldn't get enough of the mountain and begged over and over for us to take him to the mountains, even when we were at the top of them he said, "Can we go to the mountains?" When we said, "Gabriel, we are at the mountains, were at the top of them right now" he replied, "I told you we could go to the mountains." Then two minutes later he'd asked again, "Can we go to the mountains now?"

*Michael found a way to stick his head in between two metal bars that overlooked the atrium of our 7th floor hotel room. I'm not sure how he got his head through the bars but it wasn't easy or fun getting them out.

* Nana and Papa promised the boys they'd show them snow and make a snow ball for them. Looking at the mountains and how high we'd have to go to get to the snow, I remember thinking, I'm so glad they volunteered to find the snow because I don't' want to hike up that high to get them some snow. I'll wait until winter time and then take them to Flagstaff. Amazingly Papa found a place off the road somewhere where they must have piled some snow and the boys were able to get to play with the snow their Nana and Papa had promised them.

* We celebrated and danced the night away after Daddy completed his race. I used to be self-conscious about dancing in front of others when there really wasn't anyone else dancing. I guess something about making a 3 and 4 year old happy trumps feeling silly and dancing like a fool.


Until next time,

Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment