Thursday, June 10, 2010

When I get older...

One of those sayings that I never used before May 8, 2010 was, "When you get older" Now I seem to say it at least 15 times a day.

Gabriel, when you get older you can drive the car or Michael when you get older you can use a sharp knife. When you get older you can go to school, write with a permanent marker, wash the clothes, touch the water heater, go to work, ride a motorcycle, go to the park by yourself... and the list goes on and on and on.

I think the boys are starting to get the message because in the past few days they seem to anticipate what my response to their question is going to be and instead say, "Mom, when I get older... (fill in the blank).

Yesterday, however, I had to laugh because as we were getting changed to go swimming Gabriel caught me off guard with the last part of his "when I get older" statement. I was helping the boys change out of their clothes and into their swimming suit and I said, Okay boys, now that you are changed, mom is going to go change so you need to wait right here. Then, as if he was delivering a very important speech, Gabriel got all excited and said "When I get older I will help you change okay mom?"

At first, I wasn't sure how to respond, but then I thought about it a little bit more and realized, with the circle of life we seem to go through, he might actually be predicting the future. And that got me thinking, what will our lives be like when Gabriel and Michael are older and Jarrett and I are "really old"? I pray that these little boys grow into big, strong, healthy and confident men who are caring, generous and hard-working. I pray that they always keep their sensitivity and wear their feelings on their sleeves (just as they do today). I hope that they always want to give their mom and dad a hug and kiss and that they are proud that we are their family. And I do hope that when We are as old as the dirt, that they want to be there to help us. Whether it be helping us get around to do our normal errands, sitting around talking about the good old days, or helping me change my clothes, I know that when I get older, they'll be just like they are today, two of the greatest gifts God has ever given me.

Good night,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment