Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The measure of a man...

is in the choices he makes.

We are currently reading the Easter classic chapter book "HOP"  for the second time and now that we've read it once, I'm stopping as we go throughout the book to ask more questions of the boys and discuss what is happening.

Tonight in Chapter 2 E.B.'s dad tells E. B (short for Easter Bunny) that the Measure of a man is in the choices he makes. 

I asked the boys, what do you think that means?  Gabriel said, "that he wants to be the Easter Bunny." and at that moment I realized I needed to back up and explain things.

So I said, boys, what he's trying to say is that when you become a man and are all grown up, it is important that you do the right thing and that you make (I paused for them to fill in the blank)... hoping that they'd say "good choices"  since we tell them to make good choices about 50 times a day. 

Instead they just stared back at me with blank faces.  I then said, boys there are two kinds of choices... the choices I want you to make are _______________ , again blank stares.  So I just decided to answer my own question.

There are good choices and bad choices and what E. B.'s dad is saying is that when you are a grown up, it is important that you make good choices and do the right thing.

And with that the boys appeared to have gotten my point.  Gabriel responded, "Oh yeah Mom, I know, like help people and be selfless and that we should do nice things for other people."

Right Gabriel and that you work hard, always tell the truth and...

Michael interrupted me, "Yeah Mom, like drive a girl in your car to a hotel."

Not expecting that response I wasn't sure exactly what to say, so I just said, "Okay yeah I suppose."

And with that story time for tonight was over.  I'm still asking myself, now 3 hours later, where in the world did that come from?

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment