Thursday, July 18, 2013

On Iowa and Go Hawks!

When we lived in Iowa, and while I worked at the University of Iowa and Jarrett attended law school, I remember walking around campus and pointing out the alumni returning.  It was easy to identify them.  They were the ones that proudly sporting their Iowa clothing with camera around their neck, and arms outstretched: to the nearest building, shaded spot on the lawn, or newest building all while telling their younger offspring about what it was like in their day. 

Today, Jarrett and I joined that special group of folks, and did exactly that.  After six years, we returned to the great place of Iowa City and showed our children what our life was like before them.  We dressed them up on their nicest Iowa gear, hauled a backpack around campus just like we did back in the day, touted a camera around our neck and talked hour after hour about how the city had changed, where we went to class and where we use to live.  It was great. It was wonderful.

And although the memories were much more interesting to Jarrett and I, than the boys, they willingly listened, asked questions and even wanted to return to my "classroom" to sit in my seat.  Gabriel asked where the second graders lived and Michael asked where the playground was for the little kids.  Even though we've explained college to them multiple times, I think its hard for them to fully grasp how it differs from their elementary school.

In addition to walking around campus, I was able to visit some great friends I use to work with at the visitors center.  There's a saying about true friends being able to go years without talking and upon seeing each other be able to catch right up where they left off.  That's the case with my friends at the AVC.  As we walked in unannounced and having not talked to many in several years, we were greeted with warm hugs, loving smiles and genuine caring conversation.  Being able to work with the people at the Iowa Admissions Visitor Center was wonderful and it remains the standard against which other places are compared.  It was enjoyable to catch up, even for a few minutes, and although we disrupted their work place, the kids thought it was awesome.  They not only got Herky tattoos but gold helium balloons to carry around campus.  They carried them with pride as Michael said, "Mom, we are really lucky to get these balloons, I bet everyone else would like them too."  And as we made it to the Pentacrest, the heart of the U of Iowa campus, we released a balloon up into the air and told the kids to make a wish.  Michael said, "Mom, now God will have a Hawkeye balloon, he will love it!" 

As we finished making the tour and now are on our journey back home, I've realized we have a new memory now to add to our file of many great memories from our time in Iowa City  Going to school there was life-changing as we grew into adulthood, and decided what we wanted to do in our life.  Jarrett and I began our journey into marriage and spent several great years living in the community within the college but also outside of it.  We developed friendships and formed a family that will always be special to us.  And now, we bring our children back and reminisce about the wonderful life we had when we called Iowa home.

And now, as we leave Iowa City as a visitor, I think about what Michael Barron, the former Director of Admissions at U of Iowa would always say to visitors in his concluding remarks...

On Iowa and GO HAWKS!
 
 
 
Until next time,
Angie
 

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Again, I'm SOOOO bummed that I missed seeing you and meeting your adorable children today! I would've loved to catch up with you in person instead of through the texts we shared on your way back to nh. :(

    I hope that the next time you return to campus that we can connect, or that we'll be able to meet up the next time (?) I make it to AZ!

    Until then, take good care!!

    PS Michael Barron still concludes his remarks with On Iowa and Go Hawks! :)

    ReplyDelete